EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Renovations & New Construction
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-12-16, 08:34 PM   #21
ToddT
Lurking Renovator

I'd like to add a couple of tips for long term generator operation. I run my small business off the grid, mostly on renewable energy. I was running a diesel generator on biofuels and it had a 30 gallon fuel tank. That runs for days and days! But for now am having to use different gasoline generators. One has a 6 gallon fuel tank. Not bad, able to pour a full 5-gal can of gasoline in there without fear of overflow. Now I'm using a smaller one and the tank must be less than four gallons. Having to watch the fuel level is a drag.

I'm a stickler for filtration and heartily recommend the Mr. Funnel fuel filter. It has a filter element that I believe goes down to 30 micron (not quite as good as an oil filter but still worthwhile) plus a sump to catch any water.

For the gasoline generators, I'm thinking of setting up a gravity feed system. Using a universal low pressure fuel pump, I'll draw out of an old car fuel tank and pump through a filter and up to a small tank positioned slightly higher than the generator. I repurposed a stainless steel tank from an oil-fired hot water pressure washer. It has a drain on the bottom as well as a drain on the side. The bottom goes to the carb on the generator and the side port goes back to the fuel tank as an overflow. This way, there won't be any more gravity fuel pressure on the carb than regular. It also gives a way to continuously polish the fuel with a good 6 micron spin on fuel filter. Again, a stickler for filtration!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr Funnel.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	6508   Click image for larger version

Name:	fuel pump.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	6509  
ToddT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags