EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Lawn and Garden
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 05-01-16, 01:17 PM   #671
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I have been getting fine solids in my DWC. I drained it out and cleaned it out. I welded up a small stand for the new filter. I need to add some fine filter material to it.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160430_174909.jpg
Views:	868
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	6921   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160430_144748.jpg
Views:	1020
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	6922   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160430_145630.jpg
Views:	983
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	6923   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160501_105026.jpg
Views:	1008
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	6924  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-16, 06:26 PM   #672
MEMPHIS91
Journeyman EcoRenovator

I've always had fine particles in my water. Is this a problem? I always thought the worms in the beds took care of most the bigger stuff and the fine stuff was ok to flow through the system? I could rig in a filter of some kind. My water color is closer to pond water than clear..... this might be why. lol
Old 05-02-16, 08:48 AM   #673
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

If the DWC reservoir isn't slimy and/or smell like a sewer, I wouldn't worry about it. The stuff is most likely waterborne compost. Fish and worm castings, beneficial bacteria, free proteins, etc. This crud is organic fertilizer/pH buffer and most of it will end up in your rock beds over time. It is an essential part of the aquaponic system.

To isolate this stuff from your DWC bed is no easy task. A screen or bag filter on the inlet will catch the big stuff, but by nature, the DWC bed acts as a big settling tank. The micron-sized particles and bacteria that make it through the filter will eventually find the bottom. The easiest way to prevent buildup is to allow the bed to drain fully every so often. If you didn't build your bed like a bathtub, it won't drain like one. Don't worry, the plants will survive a good drain cycle. Other, more complex methods, like protein skimmers and centrifuges and sand filters and membranes, work but tend to remove your beneficial microbes from the water along with the sludge. Plus the extra complexity factor. A couple of bottom feeders in the DWC tank does wonders. Me likes plecostamus. Or you could put your fiber filters in the bottom and fish them out every so often.

There is a good rundown on beneficials and monsters that exist in DWC systems here. The useful information continues for maybe half a dozen posts after the one I linked. My two favorite products for combatting the DWC slime come from Botanicare: hydroguard and clearex. For prevention, hydroguard establishes a colony of beneficials. For remediation, a tank drain followed by a fill with clearex and water (and maybe some peroxide) has wiped out some pretty bad infestations for me in the past. Hygrozyme also works well, but is EXPENSIVE!
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-16, 09:15 AM   #674
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I will echo what Jeff said worms love the solids in the grow beds.
I was getting to many fine solids in my DWC. My plants roots had solids attached to them. This keeps them from getting nutrients and they will not do well.
Are you doing any DWC? If you are not I would worry about the solids at the low fish stocking we run.
When I was just running my just front GB I was using a filter and my plants did not do as well when it was installed.
I would not be doing any filters now if I did not put in the DWC.

Tomahooks without twine - 100 count - Johnny's Selected Seeds
Tomato Twine - 6,300' Roll - Johnny's Selected Seeds
This is $49 for 100 hangers with a lot of twine left over.
I have ¼ cable so each side needed bent to fit my cable.

My son bend the 100 for me then wrapped enough twine for two seasons.

I bought a step stool for the greenhouse. I really like it and it is only 7.5 lb.
3-Step Aluminum Step Stool Ladder with 225 lb. Type II Duty Rating

Gorilla Ladders 3-Step Aluminum Step Stool Ladder with 225 lb. Type II Duty Rating-GLA-3 - The Home Depot

This will make hanging and picking tomatoes much simpler.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160502_103151.jpg
Views:	940
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	6925   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clips.JPG
Views:	824
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	6926   Click image for larger version

Name:	Twine.JPG
Views:	827
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	6927   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160430_103122.jpg
Views:	828
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	6928   Click image for larger version

Name:	Step.JPG
Views:	925
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	6932  

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -

Last edited by pinballlooking; 05-02-16 at 08:46 PM..
Old 05-09-16, 05:58 AM   #675
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I transplanted my lettuce hopefully it was not too young to move into the DWC bed. This part of plants is totally new to me. Time to start a new batch of seedlings.

I was away on a school trip with my son to Williamsburg for four days. It was cold an rained most of the trip but my son still had fun. My wife was not feeling well for a couple of the days. Here is the tomatoes from that time. Time to make spaghetti sauce

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160508_092256.jpg
Views:	804
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	6945   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160508_092304.jpg
Views:	871
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	6946   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160508_092311.jpg
Views:	873
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	6947   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160508_220500.jpg
Views:	845
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	6948  

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
Old 05-23-16, 11:39 AM   #676
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

It is a jungle in there. We need to trim them more and they are hitting the roof. I need to redirect them to grow at a lower height.
But they are very productive.

The temperature is being regulated by the auto vents very well. I have to do nothing at all. It is keeping cooler than the outside temp during the day so far and warm at night.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160523_091609.jpg
Views:	810
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	6960   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160523_091604.jpg
Views:	719
Size:	115.2 KB
ID:	6961  

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
Old 05-24-16, 09:28 AM   #677
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

You are way overdue for pruning. Before you wind up with some strange bugs or disease, you have to thin out all that growth. Be merciless: with all those roots below the surface, you could chop your plants like tree stumps and they would start growing from the suckers again in a week or 2. What you have there is the perfect home for aphids and mites.

You have 2 main choices: sea of trees or a few bushes. What you have now is a sea of bushes. Either way, tomatoes in general put out way too many suckers and have to be thinned. The clippings make for an endless supply of clones or an awesome source of nitrogen for compost.
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-16, 09:44 AM   #678
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Yes I agree I started on them yesterday I have not trimmed the top yet. I still need to work on them some more.
I need to thin them out some as we have more than we need.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160524_103025.jpg
Views:	790
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	6964  

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
Old 05-24-16, 12:58 PM   #679
Daox
Administrator

How have bugs been now that everything is enclosed?

&
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-16, 01:49 PM   #680
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

The bottom vents and the top vents are open to the outside when they open. That is most of the day this time of the year. But so far I have only had a few wasp and a couple bees in there.

I still have not ruled out screening in the vents. But that also slows down the air flow. I have really good air flow. Unless I am having issues I don’t want to mess up the air flow.

So far it is amazing how constant the temp stays.

I am getting ready to finally install my auto fish feeder. I will let it feed the fish over the weekend. Just a weekend I could not feed the fish. I have so many plants I want to keep feeding the fish to keep feeding the plants.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -