Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Power
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 01-29-14, 07:48 AM   #171
Robaroni
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinballlooking View Post
Wow snow in the south. It has been a couple years since we have seen this and it is not good for solar power.

Gary,
I have a 24' pole with a soft squeegee on it that I use to clean my modules but it's a pain! With as little snow as you have you won't have to do anything.
Last night it was 15 below here. I think I'm going to move to the Kona side of the big island of Hawaii.
Rob

Robaroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-14, 09:31 AM   #172
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

We have net metering and they zero out any extra power generated once a year. The date is June first. This is bad because it is right after three very solar months plus a time where we don’t have to use much heat or AC.

I have been working with Duke Power to get this changed. It looks like I have made progress but now they want to maybe change it to 11/1 they say a lot of solar users have gas heat so they want to zero out then.

I just installed Mini splits to heat with and put in enough solar so I could carry over extra power to the winter and heat with it. Wow if they zero use out 11/1 that will kill me. I sure hope this does not back fire on me.

I have contacted the biggest solar installer trying to get him on board. He is reviewing his customers to see how many are like me. Duke power had just called him to talk about what date to use.

He seemed fine with march 1 as the date I purposed because even know he uses most of his power in the summer the winter he just breaks even or has to pay some. He wants me to call him in a couple days to talk about it again.

In North Carolina Duke Power wanted to change net metering to only give solar customers wholesale rates not retail credit as we get now. People picketed to corporate office. Duke has raised rates last three years in a row so they back off for now.

It is crazy to think that we invest on solar based on the rules in place but they could change for the worst so quickly.

Last edited by pinballlooking; 01-30-14 at 09:37 AM..
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-14, 10:40 AM   #173
Daox
Administrator

If you get paid for the excess (above what you pay to purchase a kWh), why does the date matter?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-14, 10:48 AM   #174
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
If you get paid for the excess (above what you pay to purchase a kWh), why does the date matter?
When they Zero us out they keep any extra we have for free we get 0 dollars for extra on the zero out date.They say this is so people only build systems big enough to cover what they use.

Most months we can carryover extra to the other months. I carried forward 200KWH then I used that up the next month. but on June 1 they zero out all carry forward credit and keep it for free.
The Following User Says Thank You to pinballlooking For This Useful Post:
Daox (01-30-14)
Old 01-30-14, 10:51 AM   #175
Robaroni
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
We have net metering and they zero out any extra power generated once a year. The date is June first. This is bad because it is right after three very solar months plus a time where we don’t have to use much heat or AC.

I have been working with Duke Power to get this changed. It looks like I have made progress but now they want to maybe change it to 11/1 they say a lot of solar users have gas heat so they want to zero out then.

I just installed Mini splits to heat with and put in enough solar so I could carry over extra power to the winter and heat with it. Wow if they zero use out 11/1 that will kill me. I sure hope this does not back fire on me.

I have contacted the biggest solar installer trying to get him on board. He is reviewing his customers to see how many are like me. Duke power had just called him to talk about what date to use.

He seemed fine with march 1 as the date I purposed because even know he uses most of his power in the summer the winter he just breaks even or has to pay some. He wants me to call him in a couple days to talk about it again.

In North Carolina Duke Power wanted to change net metering to only give solar customers wholesale rates not retail credit as we get now. People picketed to corporate office. Duke has raised rates last three years in a row so they back off for now.

It is crazy to think that we invest on solar based on the rules in place but they could change for the worst so quickly.
What I'm reading is that major utilities are starting to really feel the effects of solar customers like us.
You have to realize what's happening. When you or I put in a system we take corporate profits away, basically that's taking money out of the hands of the few and putting it in the hands of the many. Corporations want control and they see individual power as limiting that control.

Now a lot of utilities are starting to rethink their position, they're saying, 'how can we profit from individual PV' basically.

I just read the monthly newsletter from my rural coop. I get paid 10.7 cents a Kwh, which is what I pay for the electricity I buy. I have a contract but I don't know how long it lasts guaranteeing that price. All new installs will be paid what my coop purchases electricity for which is 3 to 4 cents a Kwh. It seems to me that someone is trying to limit installs but as prices of systems and the ease of installations drops along with the rising cost of energy solar installs won't go away any time in the near future.

Alternate energy is the only long term viable future.

Rob
Old 01-30-14, 10:59 AM   #176
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

They already have rules in place to not allow more than 1% solar on a line.
Some states require power companies to have % of their power generated from renewables. I guess I can see why they do that now.
Old 01-30-14, 11:02 AM   #177
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

On a brighter note my panels are melting the snow off.

They are all back to making power.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	1401
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	3930   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Views:	1416
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	3931   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture3.JPG
Views:	446
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	3934  

Last edited by pinballlooking; 01-30-14 at 01:24 PM..
Old 01-30-14, 02:58 PM   #178
Robaroni
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
On a brighter note my panels are melting the snow off.

They are all back to making power.
Yes, they will do that. Once you start to get a part of the panel exposed it will start to heat up and melt the snow. I've seen my panels melt snow in single digit temps.

Rob
Old 01-30-14, 03:02 PM   #179
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robaroni View Post
Yes, they will do that. Once you start to get a part of the panel exposed it will start to heat up and melt the snow. I've seen my panels melt snow in single digit temps.

Rob
Wow single digit temps that is pretty cool. I hope to not see snow for a couple more years now.
Old 01-30-14, 03:21 PM   #180
Robaroni
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
Wow single digit temps that is pretty cool. I hope to not see snow for a couple more years now.
I wish I could say that!