EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Introductions
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-13, 09:19 AM   #1
rhizomatic
Helper EcoRenovator

Default Hello again, and GRID Alternatives

Hello. I have been inactive on this forum for a while. Life happens. I have managed to keep my ecomodder.com car in running order, however. Some of you will maybe know the "Black and Green" Civic over there.

I'm writing to briefly reintroduce myself. I'm DIY renovating my home. Have accomplished some insulation and sealing of gaps and drafts.

But I really want to install solar (after I complete roof replacement). Problem is I have no experience either with solar, or with electrical projects generally.

I recently volunteered two days with GRID Alternatives in Greater Los Angeles, a nonprofit that installs solar panels for free on the home of low-income families. I give grunt labor, and in return get to do "a good thing" while learning about the systems and the installation.

Lemme tell ya, it get's hot on a roof in inner city LA in July. But I learned a lot. Met some interesting people. And I'll be volunteering some more, growing in competence until I'm of some value on a job site. Probably then, I'll be close enough to be competent for the simpler parts of an install on my own roof--those parts not requiring electrician certifications and such.

Anyway, (re)greetings.

EDIT: btw, check out GRID Alternatives on the www at http://www.dev.gridalternatives.org/

rhizomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-13, 07:43 AM   #2
Daox
Administrator

Welcome to the site. Air sealing and insulation are by and far more important (and cheaper) than adding solar, so its good you started there. I am guessing you are talking about PV solar, not water heating?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-13, 12:42 AM   #3
rhizomatic
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
Welcome to the site. Air sealing and insulation are by and far more important (and cheaper) than adding solar, so its good you started there. I am guessing you are talking about PV solar, not water heating?
Absolutely PV, not water heating. I have a lot more work to do on the house, like replacing the roof with a more durable and insulated one, before installing PV panels on my own house.

rhizomatic is offline   Reply With Quote