EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Lawn and Garden
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-12, 05:19 PM   #11
S-F
You Ain't Me

We have a propane powered fork lift at work for going things like loading/unloading pallets of cellulose and loading/unloading blowers from trucks. Today they unloaded a shipment of cellulose. It's over 1,000 bags. The new CO monitoring system is tied in with the fire alarm. Well the alarm started going off. The fire dept. came, evacuated every one and tested blood for CO poisoning. Then they wouldn't let anyone in for hours while they aired out the shop. I guess we had been slowly killing ourselves every time we used that thing. It's ironic that I experienced this incident right when this thread was ramping up and I'm developing all kinds of ideas about converting everything to run on propane.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Chipping away on a daily basis.

Quote:
You know you're an ecorenovator if anything worth insulating is worth superinsulating.
Quote:
S-F: "What happens when you slam the door on a really tight house? Do the basement windows blow out?"

Green Building Guru: "You can't slam the door on a really tight house. You have to work to pull it shut."
S-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-12, 06:26 PM   #12
Vlad
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-F View Post
We have a propane powered fork lift at work for going things like loading/unloading pallets of cellulose and loading/unloading blowers from trucks. Today they unloaded a shipment of cellulose. It's over 1,000 bags. The new CO monitoring system is tied in with the fire alarm. Well the alarm started going off. The fire dept. came, evacuated every one and tested blood for CO poisoning. Then they wouldn't let anyone in for hours while they aired out the shop. I guess we had been slowly killing ourselves every time we used that thing. It's ironic that I experienced this incident right when this thread was ramping up and I'm developing all kinds of ideas about converting everything to run on propane.
There are many factors that can play in this game.

1. Forklift propane system was not adjusted correctly.
2. You still have CO in exhaust but much less

(Dangers of Carbon Monoxide and Incomplete Combustion in Propane Appliances)

3. The way you drive forklift. Some people like revving up engine. While engine is trying to keep up the throttle it burns too much fuel and its exhaust is full of CO. It is better to keep more or less constant engine speed.

4. You still have to ventilate the area like crazy. Somebody could forget to turn fan on or open the bay door or.....

I was using my drilling rig and water pump (15 hp+6hp converted to propane) for hours right next to me. We have absolutely no wind here. The next day I didn't even have a headache. The other day I used trash pump (4hp gasoline) for just 10-15 minutes. This thing just killed all air around. I had to stop and take a break for half an hour.

The bottom line is propane much cleaner and safer (CO poisoning) compare to gasoline but not 100% safe.
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-12, 06:38 PM   #13
Vlad
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Here are some zero governors I used and I really love them

1. Garretson KN (also Impco KN). Very good one very sensitive to throttle. The only thing I don't like about it is it is second stage only. You have to use other pressure regulator before it. Also it is very big and hard to find spot for it.

Here you can see it on my drilling rig. You can see another regulator attached to it for lowering pressure.

Here is a water pump conversion:

2. Bean T-50. Very good very easy to install. It has high pressure regulator built in so you run high pressure propane directly from your tank. It is very compact and easy to find spot for it.

Here is my skid steer loader Case 1816c conversion:

3. Woodward N-51. It is very similar to Beam 50. Also has high pressure regulator built in.

Here is my lawnmower conversion:

I bought this one used on eBay. Recently I found new ones (Woodward N-51) on eBay for just ....
Look yourself:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Woodward-Pro...97fcac&vxp=mtr

As soon I saw them I ordered 2 for future projects...... Actually I made them an offer they couldn't refuse....

I have a lot f pictures and I will post each project separately with pictures and info....

Last edited by Vlad; 07-05-12 at 06:55 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Vlad For This Useful Post:
Geo NR Gee (07-09-12)
Old 07-08-12, 07:30 PM   #14
Pump man

Arrow Propane LPG auto gas kits

Modern 4-cycle engines run well on clean, cheap and American made propane.
Kits for the DYI group and the dealers are now available. Bi-fuel upgrades are quickly gaining aceptance here in the USA. The rest of the world has been doing it for decades.
See more at runpropane com
Old 07-09-12, 02:19 AM   #15
Vlad
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pump man View Post
Modern 4-cycle engines run well on clean, cheap and American made propane.
Kits for the DYI group and the dealers are now available. Bi-fuel upgrades are quickly gaining aceptance here in the USA. The rest of the world has been doing it for decades.
See more at runpropane com
I just checked this site. On pictures you can see garretson KN zero governor installed in horizontal position. I might be wrong but I remember that you have to install them in vertical position only. The diaphragm is very sensitive it's own weight must be eliminated (vertical position).

http://www.baldor.com/pdf/manuals/GarretKN.pdf

Also nobody needs to buy a kit and spend ..... I just bought new Woodward N-51 (paid 32$) and I need to spend another 5$ to make it work.

So my next conversion will cost me about 40$

How about kits how much are they????

PS. I converted my Astro Van to propane. I installed and after certified it. It is Landi Renzo Omegas multiport injection system It was all together about 2000$....

Last edited by Vlad; 07-09-12 at 02:36 AM..
Old 07-09-12, 02:25 AM   #16
Vlad
Apprentice EcoRenovator

There is one detail how to convert regular carburetor for small engine (Honda or Brigs or I converted my Case Onan B43).

Usually you have to buy a special adapter which is carburetor specific (or group of them). There is a trick how to make almost any carburetor dual fuel and spend 1.5$-3$.

I am currently working on how to present it and explain. I might make a video about it.
Old 07-09-12, 02:32 AM   #17
Vlad
Apprentice EcoRenovator

I have a question to somebody who converted tractors or lawnmower or snow-blowers to electric. How much was conversion how satisfied how much time do you need to convert to electric motor?????
Old 07-27-12, 12:11 PM   #18
Vlad
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel View Post
Since liquid propane is an extremely cold substance, it can also be dangerous is handled improperly.
What do you mean by "extremely cold substance"? My BBQ tank is not cold at all....
Old 08-29-12, 09:28 AM   #19
jsa
Lurking Renovator

Thanks for the write up. I'm currently in the process of doing this conversion and was wondering about your carb modifications for fuel delivery.

I've seen the carb body drilled out for a brass tube epoxied in position. Is that your technique?

Thanks again
jsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-14, 07:46 PM   #20
mangler
Lurking Renovator

This is for Vlad, as he seems to be "in the know" when it comes to propane conversions.

I just bought a Craftsman G5500 garden tractor, with a 24 HP platinum v-twin briggs and stratton engine. I really want to convert it to propane, but I have a few questions:

Can I use a 30 lb tank on its side? will that create sloshing? Is it best to have the opening upwards?

Do you fin there is a different in efficiency between tri fuel conversions and dedicated propane? Mostly wondering if it is worth it to get an injection nozzle in the center of the venturi stream, or if side hole in an adapter over the carb is just as good.

what brand/model of combination pressure regulator/governor would you recommend for best value/performance?

Any other tips, cautions?

mangler is offline   Reply With Quote