Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Lawn and Garden
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-15-12, 05:07 PM   #1
seanwa
Lurking Renovator

Default new to evs need help with lawn tractor conversion

I habe been looking into building an electricriding mower. I now have what i believeisa perfect doner mower. A crsftsman hydrostatic drive 19.5hp with a 42" mowing deck that was sitting at my parents house for a couple years. I tried to get it running and engine is seized up. Other than that it seems to be in good shape. I just dont know where to start with the conversion. I would like use as many used and recycled parts as possible. One reason is try and keep the cost down and also to recycle as much as possible. I dont have the abilty to machine parts or pay for someone to custom make parts. $1000 seems way to steep to pay for a kit.

Motor? I would like to use a motor that i can directly bolt the existing pullies and belt drive system to and run only one motor 24v? 36v? I have seen golf carts cheap, are the electric motors on them a good option since it would have the controler that could be reused also. Do i even need a controler? 24v would be nice because i would like to make the batteries easily removeable so i can have several sets for a total run time of around 6 hours just charge at night when im done for use the next day. But i can do the same with a 36v system also just more expense in batteries. Thinking deep cycle marine type batteries. So weight would also be an issue with a 36v system. I am very comfortable with doing ice mechanics but whole ev thing is new to me.

Also frim what I understand the shaft on the ice is 1" what scrapyard or repurposed motors have a 1" shaft for easy conversion

seanwa is offline   Reply With Quote