EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Tools
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-18, 02:51 PM   #11
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Thanks, I am pretty happy with it.
He saw my two old Honda 50’s and he is interested and buying those and my old 250 dune buggy.
He said he wants a pair of the 12-ton jacks stands I bought. I really only need one set of them now that I have a lift.
We will see if that all works out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-18, 02:54 PM   #12
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I am getting closer the installing the lift. It is an Asymmetrical lift 30% load on shorter front arms and 70 % on back arms. The towers are at an angle to let you open the car doors with more clearance.

In the picture look at the doors and you can see the difference.

This lift will be closer to the wall than my other lift. I need to move one brace in my building.
It needs to move about 21? I called BLG builder and they said that it would be fine just add a second 2 x 6 in there. I will put in a 2 x 6 flat on both sides top to bottom on the truss. Then put 2 2x 6 going across.
This will give me my 145? clearance

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Symmetric-Asymmetric-Lifts.gif
Views:	3930
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	8262   Click image for larger version

Name:	2_by_6.JPG
Views:	1427
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	8263  

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
Old 06-30-18, 01:25 PM   #13
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

The support beam is modified to have the 12 foot clearance.
I used 2 x 10 on both sides then two 2 x 6's across for the support.
Here is a before and after picture.

We have both post standing up now it is time for the install.

The right post is where it needs to be. We used my drill winch to set the post up. The cherry picker helped to.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180630_114740.jpg
Views:	1468
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	8264   Click image for larger version

Name:	1530366775131.jpg
Views:	1456
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	8265   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	1433
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	8266  

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
Old 07-01-18, 12:12 PM   #14
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I used my drill winch to get the top cross brace on.

I have the motor side plum and the bolts on the motor side are to toque.

Slowly but surely making progress. It is 90 out so that is slowing me down.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180630_232042.jpg
Views:	1425
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	8267  

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
Old 07-01-18, 04:00 PM   #15
Elcam84
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Looks good. Though I got a laugh out of the Its 90* and thats slowing me down... Its 109* here and 90 would be a cold front here.....

I haven't used an assymetric lift. When I was an ASE master tech I used in ground lifts. I have used a few above ground lifts and IMO they are vastly inferior to an in ground lift. Always felt safe with them but the above ground ones just move too much.

But once we get this house done and sold and make the move to somewhere near Gaffney (area choice for now) I plan on getting a lift for the shop there. Much better weather there too...
Elcam84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-18, 01:25 AM   #16
mejunkhound
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Talking

Ah Pinball, why di you not FIRST install AC using some of the surplus stash of AC ftuff you have?

Just wondering
mejunkhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-18, 11:29 AM   #17
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

My garage side is about 35' x 25' with maybe 20' high at the peak. It would take a lot to cool it off.

It has been a long time since I have seen a in ground lift. Two post lift have taken over. I will get a hoist jack stand to make it safer it can hurt.

The lift is so much closer to being ready for duty. I need to run the wiring. The cable that goes from one side to the other to release the locks needs replaced.
It got messes up when it was taken down. It is very thin I will get a new one today.
I had ten Hilti KB3 by 3/4" 5 1/2" they are great. For the two last holes I had a different brand it did not work at all. I went to get more Hilti bolts but no one local had any so I bought Simpson strong tie anchor bolts. They are junk I just ordered 2 more Hilti KB3's what a pain. I will never use anything other than Hilti going forward.

I will be working on the Saturn's on my lift they weight about 2,300 pounds.
Each arm of the lift can handle 2,500 That is a big safety factor.
It is certified for 10,000 and tested 15,000 pounds.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	B.JPG
Views:	1330
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	8308  

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -

Last edited by pinballlooking; 11-21-19 at 01:09 PM..
Old 07-02-18, 03:01 PM   #18
mejunkhound
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Just teasing..

BTW, you are coming close to making many of us break the 10th commandment...
mejunkhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-18, 04:00 PM   #19
Elcam84
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinballlooking View Post
My garage side is about 35' x 25' with maybe 20' high at the peak. It would take a lot to cool it off.

It has bee a long time since I have seen a in ground lift. Two post lift have taken over. I will get a hoist jack stand to make it safer it can hurt.

The lift is so much closer to being ready for duty. I need to run the wiring. The cable that goes from one side to the other to release the locks needs replaced.
It got messes up when it was taken down. It is very thin I will get a new one today.
I had ten Hilti KB3 by 3/4" 5 1/2" they are great. For the two last holes I had a different brand it did not work at all. I went to get more Hilti bolts but no one local had any so I bought Simpson strong tie anchor bolts. They are junk I just ordered 2 more Hilti KB3's what a pain. I will never use anything other than Hilti going forward.

I will be working on the Saturn's on my lift they weight about 2,300 pounds.
Each arm of the lift can handle 2,500 That is a big safety factor.
It is certified for 10,000 and tested 15,000 pounds.

I would guess the last in grounds installed were probably in the 80s. The issue was the in ground hydraulic tank and possible leaks. But there are fluids to use and better ways now but the above ground units are cheap compared to in ground.
But I will always prefer a pair of big 18" hydraulic cylinders over some bend sheet metal. And they are so quiet. Just air to lift and release the air to drop. You will want 4 tall jack stands and a transmission jack eventually as well. You want ones that adjust from around 48" to 80".

As for AC my shop is about the size of yours though its only 9' at the lowest part of the walls. Its a typical metal building build from 2x2 welded steel with 3" steel vertical posts. Its insulated but the insulation is pinched between the skin and the 2x2 so effectively none at those points and they act as radiators to bring in heat from outside and suck heat out in the winter.
I have a 2 ton unit and if I start it early in the morning I can keep it comfortable. On days like today when its 109* uh no unless I let it maintain temp. Takes allot more btus to use it intermittently.

Oh and I'm also not a fan of some of the simpson fasteners either. the Hilti are good as are the other brands that the bolt and nut stores like Fastenall etc.
Elcam84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-18, 04:50 PM   #20
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

It looks like they still sell inground lifts.
You better really want one.

https://jmcautomotiveequipment.com/inground-lifts/

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IG.JPG
Views:	1363
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	8309  

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -