EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Power
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-28-10, 10:19 AM   #1
bennelson
Home-Wrecker

Default Ben is going Solar!

Well, I finally threw my hat over the fence...

I just ordered 480 watts of PV panels.

Where am I going to put them? I don't know exactly....
Do I have the best solar access of anyone in town? Not really.
Am I going to live totally off the grid? Heck no.

However, I am the type of person who has found that it is best to just get into something. Just start it. I can fantasize about something all I want, but once I just start something, it becomes real and takes on a life of its own.

So, here's what I have for a plan so far.
I need to rebuild my two-car detached garage. It's practically falling down. So, I will rebuild it with the roof facing south, so I can mount solar panels on it.

I already have a number of deep cycle batteries from my work on electric vehicle projects. The solar panels that I ordered are 48V nominal. I can't run a single PV panel to a single battery. I will have to gang up batteries in sets of four.

I don't have good enough solar access, or enough panels to make "Net-Metering" worth-while, but I have most of the parts needed for a battery backup system. I found out that many industrial UPSs run as 48V, the same as the panels. I wrote my buddy, Tom, who works insalvage, to keep an eye out for one for me. I immediately got a reply of "Yep, I got one right here for you..."

Combining the PV panels on the roof, with the 48V UPS, and existing batteries, I will have almost a turn-key power backup system for my house. The UPS is over 2KW, so it will easily run my fridge and (blower and controls of my natural gas) furnace.

These panels are pretty big - about three feet square each.
I also let the woman down the street know about the panels. She has a pontoon boat she is interested in converting to electric. Two panels would mount great on the roof of her boat. They would charge the batteries all week in the sun, and even add a little power to the boat while cruising around during the day.

I just mailed in a check to pay for the panels. It's a $1.50 per watt, plus a bit for shipping. I am actually splitting a pallet-full with two other people, which significantly reduces the cost of the panels and the shipping.

Once the panels actually arrive, I'll take some photos and post them.
Rest assured, I will keep you all up to date on the project.

Want to know what else is cool about 48V panels? They are perfect to charge a 48V EV with. That's right, in my fleet of wacky vehicles, I have a 1977 Citicar, which was originally designed to run on 48V of deep-cycle batteries. I should be able to charge my electric car and electric riding lawn mower straight from the sun!

-Ben

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bennelson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electric car, panels, photovoltaic, solar