EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Power
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-17, 08:28 AM   #11
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

Default EV explosion

Oilpan you are correct about 30% of crude is refined into gasoline and about another 20% is diesel and smaller fraction go towards kerosene/jet fuel.

If you look at the situation the low hanging fruit or largest single component gasoline, that is used by personal transportation can be reduced. Just like reducing your cumbersome debt. "pay your highest interest debts first" The replacement of the family car with an awesome EV will take a huge portion out of crude refinement.

Don't forget there is also a lot of petroleum burnt getting the gasoline to the pumps. The amount of energy spent getting fuel "from the well to the tank" is staggering.

There is a ban for operation of diesel vehicles for 4 major cities Athens,Mexico city,Paris and Madrid by 2025.

WAIT A MINUTE.....Ok now I'm just being an idiot !!! The real reason for an electric car!!! ITs JUST BETTER. Drive one, you'll understand.

Randen

randen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-17, 04:01 PM   #12
oil pan 4
Land owner

But I drive electric powered vehicles all the time.
The only problem I see with the vehicles them self is price. Everything else is people. People are usually unwilling to change and the lack of charging stations for people who do not own their own home.
oil pan 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-17, 08:10 AM   #13
stevehull
Steve Hull

I too am seriously looking at the Chevy Bolt. But when to buy?

As I understand it, the large rebate is effective only for the first number (200,000?) of Bolts sold.

It would be a shame to miss out on a $7500 federal tax rebate. Sales of the Bolt are surprisingly strong, so what is the consensus on time to buy?

Early on prices are high due to it is a new model, then prices drop later - but if you miss the rebate, then you loose a LOT!!

Steve

Last edited by stevehull; 03-09-17 at 08:16 AM.. Reason: typos
stevehull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-17, 08:32 AM   #14
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

You have a little while before you have to worry about tax credit expiring.
When do electric-car tax credits expire? (further update)

Tesla could hit it if the get the model 3 released.

It expires IRS quote “The credit begins to phase out for a manufacturer’s vehicles when at least 200,000 qualifying”

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/plug-...30-and-irc-30d

Chevy Volt Crosses 100,000 US Sales Milestone
http://www.hybridcars.com/top-sellin...les-milestone/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pinballlooking For This Useful Post:
stevehull (03-09-17)
Old 03-09-17, 08:35 AM   #15
creeky
Journeyman EcoRenovator

The time is now.

Don't forget. You may pay a price as an early adopter, but you start saving money on gas immediately too. So what is your ongoing gas cost.

Plus. Come on. The envy factor. Smile. I'll be drooling for sure.

Blog that is down right now but will return

Business where I sell solar stuff
[url]https://www.bobolinksolar.com
creeky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-17, 12:28 PM   #16
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

Creeky

I couldn't agree more that the time is here. I'm thinking of making a deposit for the Mrs. for her Tesla Model 3. She's piloting a Prius back and forth to her employment. The cost per km. the Prius is equal to the Tesla burning electrons vs gasoline at this point in time. Unless gasoline makes a huge increase monetarily the Tesla doesn't have a ROI. However it is a much better car and larger.

That said as our solar PV comes on line that ROI may change as you cannot make your own gasoline but we know how to collect electrons.

Randen
randen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-17, 07:27 AM   #17
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

A Tesla is not a Toyota. I really hope Elon doesn't sell too many of the new models before he builds a support network for them. He owns all of the dealership fronts, so he has no one else to blame as it sits now. Existing owners are furious about the time it takes for factory service already.

Add that to the fact that most people ponying up a preorder deposit own Toyota or Honda vehicles already. Besides heavenly reliability, these OEM's have service centers everywhere. If something does go wrong, these owners expect prompt and accurate service. Most are not mechanically inclined and don't plan on being that way. Waiting months for a service appointment would not be tolerated, much less waiting weeks for their vehicles back from the shop.

I am eager to see how this model launch plays out for Tesla. The prototypes look awesome and so are performance and range claims. Either way, the company has hit critical mass, and won't be the same after the launch.

Last edited by jeff5may; 03-10-17 at 09:55 PM.. Reason: spelling
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-17, 11:25 AM   #18
stevehull
Steve Hull

Jeff bring up an important concern - service.

With a Chevy Bolt, Volt or Nissan Leaf, there are dealers everywhere.

I am in central Oklahoma, close by to Oklahoma City with a metropolitan area population of 1.5 million or more one of the top 25 most populated USA cities.

But no Tesla dealer anywhere in Oklahoma . . . . . .

I really like the Tesla Model 3, but am strongly leaning towards the Chevy Bolt. The Bolt has not nearly the interior "fit and finish" as the Tesla product - but I can get service.

And, interestingly, our other cars are Hondas (Civic and Element) with the reliability that Jeff mentions.

I suspect many, outside of California, are thinking much the same as service on a new roll out company is an important issue.

Thanks Jeff for mentioning this.

Steve
Old 04-23-17, 12:20 PM   #19
nexsuperne
Helper EcoRenovator

I have been driving my Nissan Leaf now for 2 years. I have done 40,000 miles in that time, and mostly charged from my solar panels on the house. Total running costs for the 40,000 miles are just £500 (on overnight cheap rate electric).
The same distance in my Nissan 3/4 ton pickup would have been £14,000.
I am one of those 400,000 Tesla Model 3 pre-orders, and TBH, I can't wait.
Whilst the Leaf has served my well, and cost such an insignificant amount, the 80 mile true range can be a pain, especially when I am working on a contract with a 130 mile round trip. The rapid charger that I use to get home takes 30 minutes to put in about 60 miles of charge, but it is FREE!!
The Tesla won't need a rapid charge, as the range is a proper 200+ miles, which is about 70 miles more than I need in a day.
I think realistically that the whole "EVolution" process will only take a few years, as the UK government called a meeting of dangerously high emissions from diesel engines on Friday, as we used the whole years pollution allowance in just 5 days.
I was going to strip the Leaf for parts and add it to my home built "powerwall" (as it would give 4 days power with no solar input), but my used car will be worth more than I thought with the ban on anything but zero emission going into the city, so I will be selling that when the Model 3 arrives about Christmas 2018.
Added to this, the bonus of safer, self-driving vehicles, I know I will quite enjoy being chauffeured to work, and not having to concentrate on getting there.

Last edited by nexsuperne; 04-23-17 at 12:22 PM.. Reason: not enough gaps and some typo's :)
nexsuperne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-17, 03:54 PM   #20
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

@nexsuperne
How much solar power do you have installed?
I would love to see more info on your home made power wall.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote