EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-15, 10:37 AM   #1
Higgy
The Gardener

Default Sealing Mudroom Door to Garage

Hey all, I have replaced the bottom part of the door in the mudroom (that leads to the garage) with draught proofing parts from Home Depot last year, but it always gets torn up from opening and closing the door. Is there something that others use that lasts?

Higgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-15, 05:59 PM   #2
lt190b
Lurking Renovator

Higgy, what material is the door made from? Did the door unit have a threshold and door bottom on it? A picture might be helpful.
lt190b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-15, 09:13 AM   #3
Elcam84
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Usually that means the seal is too thick or the door Is now sagging and causing the seal to rub on the sill too much. I'm assuming it's the typical rubber seal that fits into saw kerfs at the bottom of the door.
Elcam84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-15, 11:08 AM   #4
Higgy
The Gardener

It's just a wooden door. I don't think the door is sagging, but if I take the metal plate off the floor and the rubber weatherstripping off the bottom of the door then there is a gap between the door and the floor. I'll try and remember to take a picture tonight, I totally forgot to do it yesterday.

What I have there now looks like this: Tago | Vin For Met Door U Bottom Br | Home Depot Canada

I'm just wondering if there is something better I can put that will seal it better.
Old 07-29-15, 12:38 PM   #5
Elcam84
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Yup have used those. Door sweeps are a pain for me too. Usually they start ripping at the end and working toward the hinge side. They also tend to roll on the door even if you screw it on everywhere. Here is an aluminum version that I have used with decent results.

I prefer the style that is used on new doors but it isn't perfect. I have taken off existing doors and cut them shorter and routed the kerfs in the bottom for the new seal to tap in there.

The best method is he Florida and costal region method. They use he same seal on the floor that is used on the rest of the door which uses a different threshold because they are required to have outward opening doors for wind protection. Bad idea up north in a snow area.
I would have liked out swing doors but they are special order and pricey here. They are more secure than an in swing door contrary to conventional thinking.
Elcam84 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Elcam84 For This Useful Post:
Higgy (07-29-15)
Old 09-10-15, 07:44 AM   #6
Daox
Administrator

Did you ever find a good solution to the problem Higgy?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-15, 08:47 AM   #7
Higgy
The Gardener

No not really. The seal isn't bad, it's just that it tears the rubber sweep when you close the door so you just have to keep replacing it every 1 - 2 years and it was just annoying me. I thought there might be something better I could buy online rather then the junk Home Depot sells.
Old 09-10-15, 06:42 PM   #8
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

Sorry I didn't see this earlier. It stinks to have a leaky door that catches or won't shut properly. Makes you just want to maul the thing.

What you have there is a rental-grade vinyl door shoe, aka door sweep. In rental properties, they get glued on with something like liquid nails. The problem with this type is that they are not rigid enough, and even when screwed on good, they deform with normal use. They aren't made to last like they should be. Once a certain spot starts rubbing, it doesn't take long for the whole thing to get destroyed. The glue helps to keep them where they belong for a lot longer.

There are many better products out there that work much better for longer. The wraparound type (like you have) worth owning is made mainly of an aluminum or stainless steel extrusion. The sealing surface is an insert that slides, screws, or pops into the middle of the extrusion. The good ones are not cheap, though. You will understand once you start pricing commercial-grade material. They are available as dainty but tough or manly and adjustable to stop a sandstorm.

The industry leader in this hardware is Pemko. They make the stuff used in hospitals, schools, warehouses, docks, and ships and such. The 216 and 217 models look like they would do your job. Main difference is that the 216 has a drip edge and the 217 doesn't. Suffixes specify options: V=eco-vinyl insert; PK=Pemko-prene insert; D=dark bronze; A=aluminum mill finish; the the list goes on and on...

Example: 216AV = aluminum mill, vinyl insert. Dainty but tough.
Pemko 216AV Door Shoe - 1-3/4" Width, 1-9/16" Height, Mill Finish Aluminum

These guys have a product selector:
Door Shoes with neoprene - wwwTMhardware.com

Happy hunting!

jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote