Go Back   EcoRenovator > Off Topic > The Billiards Room
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-07-10, 05:07 PM   #1
Higgy
The Gardener

Default Possible house to buy

Ok, so I wasn't sure where to put this (Daox move it to where ever you think is best).

My wife and I are looking to buy a house outside of our city. We went to look at a house today, wasn't exactly what we were looking for but I thought I'd ask you guys what you thought of it. I'd personally rather have a bungalow on a plot of land this big, but this was pretty well built inside from what I could tell walking through it with 2 kids that were running around.

ComFree | House for sale in Lorette - Manitoba homes for sale by owner | ComFree

So here are the pro's:
- Big yard, 2 acres. Lots of room for the kids and dog to run around.
- 3 car garage which means 1 of the ports could be used for storage and he's also got a work area in that third part and it's really nice. The garage is fully insulated.
- The kitchen, dinette and living room is awesome and there's lots of light everywhere.
- He's got spray foam in between the joists in the basement which is a plus.
- Silent joists in basement ceiling.
- The master bedroom is nice and is a good size with lots of light. He also spray foamed under the master bedroom as it's over the garage.
- It's on a short road and there are no off roads. One of the neighbors is someone I work with and she really likes the other neighbors (something I can't say about where I live...after 6 years I barely know any of the neighbors and barely anyone ever comes out). I love this neighborhood and there's lots of kids on the road. This is at the end of the road as well so we'd be almost the only traffic at the end.

Cons:
- It's a cab over...I hate those.
- It has vaulted ceilings...I hate that as you lose too much heat, even though they have ceiling fans. It also means that in order for me to get more R value in my ceiling it would meant that I'd have to rip the drywall off the ceiling and somehow either spray foam it or increase the thickness to get more insulation in it.
- They pay $194 a month average on electricity. I only pay 137 average per month. There house is 1863 sq feet and mine is 1447 sq feet. But my basement is the same size as my main floor...there's is much smaller (so I'm heating approx the same amount of space).
- The kids rooms seem a touch small.
- There's not a lot of walls...everything is very open...and although I like openness...this is almost too open. Like it seems EVERYTHING is open. I mean, I don't want to be watching TV and have to blast it just to hear it.

Anyway, I'd like some opinions on this house. I wish they had more pictures...and I wish I had remembered to take pictures. I was too busy trying to stop my kids from running through his house and tearing it up.

Now, there's also another house around them that is going up for sale in the spring. It's a two story...again not my favorite (why build a 2 story or cab over when you have that much land...seriously...). But this house has geothermal and it's on the river...which means it's going to be more expensive then this house...which I'm not keen on as much as it would probably save me in the end.

Ok...let me have it. Shoot out whatever opinions you have to give me on this.

Thanks.

Last edited by Higgy; 11-07-10 at 05:11 PM..
Higgy is offline   Reply With Quote