EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-19, 10:36 PM   #61
Daox
Administrator

Ben Nelson, a local friend and forum user has been posting some youtube videos of his OEM electric Ford Ranger recently. He has also converted it to lithium. He is always tinkering with something. Its a good channel to check out.

https://www.youtube.com/user/BenjaminNelson/videos

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:
pinballlooking (08-15-19)
Old 08-15-19, 10:22 AM   #62
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

How about that? Ford is very near the release version of the battery electric truck. We just had a meeting this week where our tech liaison showed up and started off with this video:

https://youtu.be/bXFHgoon7lg

After that, he had a brag session, and then answered a gaggle of questions. Main points he made related to performance and the budgeted schedule. As to performance, it won't matter whether you want to drag race it or tow big things in or behind it, Ford is shooting for amazing first impressions as well as long-term relationships with fanatic customers. The thing will have monster torque off the line and ample horsepower to go fast.

As to build schedule, they're going to be retooling and reconfiguring the HPP (high performance pickup) line, expanding that building, and building a new line for the HPP with more capacity. Both of these line upgrades will be happening this fall and winter. The new HPP line is part of the generation change for the 2021 model year. The current HPP line is scheduled to be shut down whenever the new line is finished and the operators are supposed to be moving to the area around Thanksgiving. The new generation will be the first to offer hybrid powertrains, and the powers that be are doing their best to get the battery electric trucks released at the same time.

As far as the Ford and Rivian trucks being the same, they're not. In another building, we are producing SUV frames for the expedition and navigator on a brand spanking new line. Due to increased build schedule, that line is now running two shifts of production. The Rivian chassis production will happen in this building. Where the electric F-150 is an e-coat painted all steel frame, the Rivian frame is not. Rivian is specifying their frame as galvanized steel and aluminum. No idea whether it will be e-coat painted or not. More than that, the powertrains are very not the same. Different components completely. Ford is trying to not stray too far from the p702 design, Rivian is proving out a freshly invented system.

Last edited by jeff5may; 08-15-19 at 11:29 AM..
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeff5may For This Useful Post:
Daox (08-15-19)
Old 08-15-19, 11:10 AM   #63
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I would have rather seen it pull a 12,000 trailer.

Did they give specs like torque, HP, Range.

You added some great info.
I look forward to seeing this all this develop.
Very exciting times.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -

Last edited by pinballlooking; 08-15-19 at 12:25 PM..
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-19, 07:33 AM   #64
oil pan 4
Land owner

The only thing that matters is how big is the battery pack.
Anyone who has ever driven a 24kwh leaf knows battery size matters.
And anyone who has driven an early leaf knows to ask how fast can it charge?
oil pan 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-19, 12:07 PM   #65
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

My S-10 EV has 2 Chevy Volt packs so around 34 kWh and I'm currently getting 100 miles or 160 kms per charge at highway speeds. Its extremely quick and handles like a go-cart with the low centre of gravity. My batteries are between the frame rails under the box so the truck is useful. I use it for my work truck delivering my tools.

The truck 1998 was designed with a lead acid pack 1600 lbs of lead. Converting it to lithium reduced the weight by close to 1000 lbs so it can carry a LOT now

But what was GM thinking???

Ben consider yourself lucky. I REALY enjoy mine!!

Last edited by randen; 08-18-19 at 05:41 PM..
randen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-19, 10:59 PM   #66
ME_Andy
Helper EcoRenovator

Wow, that's great to hear about Ford. I'll be watching to see if they can match Tesla battery cost and performance. I guess Ford's build quality will be more consistent.
ME_Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-19, 11:00 PM   #67
ME_Andy
Helper EcoRenovator

Any idea what the all-in cost for Ben's truck project was? It seemed like a surprisingly easy project
ME_Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-19, 10:29 PM   #68
where2
DIY Geek

Speaking of automakers investing billions on EV's, I got envious of Ben, Randen, Pinball and all the other Ecorenovators who have EV's, so I just bought my own first EV... VW was throwing heavy incentives, and my commute was down to 1.5 miles to work, so driving a 2004 diesel VW as my commuter seemed like killing the planet. There's a 2019 VW e-Golf in my driveway, and it's a total blast to drive.

Now I need to finalize my plans to add another 5.6kW PV array as a ground mount in the backyard to do away with my charging costs. (because the solar panels, and inverters are already in my garage).
where2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-19, 11:56 PM   #69
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Congrats! On the new ride. Post a picture.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-19, 12:02 AM   #70
u3b3rg33k
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ME_Andy View Post
Wow, that's great to hear about Ford. I'll be watching to see if they can match Tesla battery cost and performance. I guess Ford's build quality will be more consistent.
So far it looks like Tesla is king of battery quality/performance. not that more competition isn't fantastic. about time we replaced some gas trucks with electric!

u3b3rg33k is offline   Reply With Quote