Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Power
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 12-24-14, 09:27 AM   #11
karl0525
Lurking Renovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferg75407 View Post
karl0525, have got a smart meter at your point of use? Have you learned to acess it? you need to understand it? My meter has a simulated "wheel" that rotates to indicate the power flow direction and amplitude. there are sequential displays that indicate "power from time of installation", "peak power", "power delivered to you", "Power delivered to power company". You can find this online some where{texassmartmeter.com}. My system uses a older meter with the real wheel indicating power going to my breaker box recordeing my total power generated.
sorry got carried away.
The information is separated at the meter and will not have any effect on your free hours.
I do not know how to pm you. Something I need to learn.
That cleared up a lot I use a lot on my free hours (Chevy volt,pool pump,etc) and did not want my billed credit of what I over produce to be used on my night time period I have been able to transfer about 75% of my usage to my free hours 9pm-6am and I am real close to signing a contract with Circular energy for a 10 kW roof mount The reason I am going with the 10 kW is to max out my oncor rebate and 2 I know the free hours will not last forever. Were about in north Texas do you live would like to catch up with you and maybe discus other ways to save and solar in general. Thanks again for the help.

karl0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-14, 11:24 AM   #12
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

What Year is your Chevy Volt how do you like it? Free night power is great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl0525 View Post
That cleared up a lot I use a lot on my free hours (Chevy volt,pool pump,etc) and did not want my billed credit of what I over produce to be used on my night time period I have been able to transfer about 75% of my usage to my free hours 9pm-6am and I am real close to signing a contract with Circular energy for a 10 kW roof mount The reason I am going with the 10 kW is to max out my oncor rebate and 2 I know the free hours will not last forever. Were about in north Texas do you live would like to catch up with you and maybe discus other ways to save and solar in general. Thanks again for the help.
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-14, 03:49 PM   #13
karl0525
Lurking Renovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinballlooking View Post
What Year is your Chevy Volt how do you like it? Free night power is great!
It is a 2012 we have about 28000 miles on it and yes free nights is awesome. We leased it and we turn it back in July 2015. I am looking forward to the 2016 volt that is going to be revealed at the Detroit auto show next month. My only complaint is I wish it had more room in the cabin(road trip gets cramped quick). Other than that we have enjoyed all the savings no gas,oil change etc. What about your solar and free nights can you elabarte on how your day time credits work with the free time period. Are they separate so you can use your credit hours during the day? Thanks
Old 12-28-14, 02:32 PM   #14
frazelle09
World peace is inevitable

Wow, this is a great idea! Keep up the great work and have a great afternoon!

__________________________________________________ ____________

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiHaoMike View Post
Set the water heater to 140F and then set the timer to only turn on at night. Then use a recirculating pump and fan coil to extract the heat during the day.

For storing cold, find a used A/C condensing unit, some copper tubing, and an expansion valve. Coil the tubing in a garbage can filled with water and use the A/C to freeze the water during the night. Use another copper coil and an antifreeze solution (pumped through a surplus car radiator or similar) to extract the cold for use during the day.
frazelle09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-15, 07:39 PM   #15
phleas
Lurking Renovator

How is TXU's Free Night plan working out for those who have signed up? I have been with Reliant (NRG) since 2012 on their e-Sense sell back. I have a 8.74 kW solar array and haven't had an electric bill since Feb 2012. Reliant is ending that nice plan, which paid 17.1 cents/kWh I sold them. Now they're buying at paltry 5.97 cents/kWh with pretty high rates for what you draw off the grid. Therefore, I'm looking at TXU as a provider. I have 2 electric cars and should be able to shift 70% of my load easily to the free time. Solar by day, free by night should work well. Is that what others are finding? Any issues with TXU?
phleas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-15, 05:06 AM   #16
karl0525
Lurking Renovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by phleas View Post
How is TXU's Free Night plan working out for those who have signed up? I have been with Reliant (NRG) since 2012 on their e-Sense sell back. I have a 8.74 kW solar array and haven't had an electric bill since Feb 2012. Reliant is ending that nice plan, which paid 17.1 cents/kWh I sold them. Now they're buying at paltry 5.97 cents/kWh with pretty high rates for what you draw off the grid. Therefore, I'm looking at TXU as a provider. I have 2 electric cars and should be able to shift 70% of my load easily to the free time. Solar by day, free by night should work well. Is that what others are finding? Any issues with TXU?
That's funny you ask. As of today 1-29-15 my install starts and will finish tomorrow. I do have the txu free nights and love it use between 75-80 percent of my usage at night.I am interested To see how this all works out I am getting a 9.9 kW setup and will over produce during the day and use all I want at night (Chevy volt pool pump etc) and the txu buy back is 7.5 cents a kW with no cap.I will give a update after it up and running.
Old 03-01-15, 06:18 PM   #17
phleas
Lurking Renovator

karl0525, how is the new solar system running? Working well with TXU's free nights program? I will be signing up this week with TXU.
Old 03-01-15, 09:16 PM   #18
karl0525
Lurking Renovator

Quote:
karl0525, how is the new solar system running? Working well with TXU's free nights program? I will be signing up this week with TXU.
As of right know everything is installed. We are waiting in oncor to reprogram the smart meter. Then we have to get with txu and setup a power purchase agreement. So your question is I don't know yet as were still in paperwork phase of everything. oncor sounds like there dragging there feet.
Old 04-02-15, 06:07 PM   #19
phleas
Lurking Renovator

Hello karl0525, quick question, is TXU keeping proper track of your usage on their MyEnergy Dashboard? It seems for the past couple of weeks, the solar generation is being counted as production for me! I can see a nice parabolic usage shape in the middle of the day for my consumption graphs. I emailed them of a potential accounting issue, but have gotten zero response.
Old 04-02-15, 09:02 PM   #20
karl0525
Lurking Renovator

Quote:
Hello karl0525, quick question, is TXU keeping proper track of your usage on their MyEnergy Dashboard? It seems for the past couple of weeks, the solar generation is being counted as production for me! I can see a nice parabolic usage shape in the middle of the day for my consumption graphs. I emailed them of a potential accounting issue, but have gotten zero response.
Finally oncor switched out meter for reverse flow capable on the 29th of march my cycle ended on the 1st of April I think your right because the energy dashboard shows me using like 45 kW in the middle of the day and I know that's not right I have a egauge unit installed and use probably around 5kw during 6am and 9pm when nobody's home its hard to say until I get txu to fix there end know which they told me might take up to 45 days please keep me up to date on your end. Thanks

Tags
free energy, storing cool, storing heat