EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Lighting
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-12-14, 09:45 AM   #16
bennelson
Home-Wrecker

I just read this whole thread straight through.

It's interesting how thoughts have changed a bit from the original thread in 2008 until today, at the end of 2014.

Seems like the exact same conversation we all had going from incandescent to CFL.

In rough order:
1) This is an over-priced novelty
2) I don't like the color of these new bulbs
3) They work differently with dimmers
4) I don't like how fast/slow they start
5) I guess the price is coming down
6) I guess these are about the same as the old bulbs now
7) I can get them in different colors? Cool!
8) Why didn't I buy these sooner!
9) We call these "normal bulbs".

I just recently changed my whole how over to LED.
The month after that, I had one of my lowest electric bills EVER. (And that was coming from the whole house being CFL before LED.)

Find the bulbs you like. Buy them on sale. Buy them in bulk.

My current favorite light bulb is A TCP brand 60-watt equivalent (8.7 watt) 5000K color temperature, medium base bulb. The color is a nice "sunny day" daylight. They are bright, they come on instantly, they don't get hot, and they use little electricity.

Buy them in a six-pack from Home Depot for $6 per bulb. 22 year life-span.
HOME DEPOT TCP BULB LINK

Their incandescent color temperature bulb is nice too, although it's a little on the warm side at 2700K. (The photographic standard is 3200k.)

The reflector style bulbs for can lights are available at a similar price, and I've been using those as well.

Also, check your local hardware stores. They are starting to have "Sale Wars" over LED bulbs. Ace had lots of bulbs for $6 each and I saw a pile at Menards for the same.

Just about the only place in my house now that ISN'T LED is the appliance bulbs in the oven and the clothes dryer. Both those locations, the light is used minimally, and can get to temperatures that would melt plastic LED bulbs.

PS: I also just the other day found out about "Direct Replacement" 48" LED tubes. Sylvania/Osram has an LED tube that just pops in place of a T8 fluorescent. You don't have the modify the fixture at all! (No more snipping out the ballast and rewiring!)
It's VERY bright, and the 4100K color looks much nicer than the 4100K color I've ever seen on fluorescents. It might be that it's missing the notorious fluorescent "green-spike".
http://www.menards.com/main/p-2407785-c-7482.htm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bennelson; 12-12-14 at 09:48 AM.. Reason: PS
bennelson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led