EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Heating
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-14, 07:31 PM   #11
Exeric
Apprentice EcoRenovator

I did a mental simulation of using a dedicated isolated laundry room with warm incoming air to the whole room used for the dryer. It won't work as I was thinking. When a person would open the laundry room door up to a 135 F or more heat would hit you and would then start spreading throughout the house. That would completely negate the idea of isolating the house from excess heat in warmer months. You could get around it at the expense of much complexity, including running the dryer fan for 10 minutes or so after the load is dry, while closing the (now actively operated) ceiling vent. My experience is that added layer of complexity would completely negate the original advantages of having an isolated laundry room.

It seems the choice is either using one of the methods in Daox's link or nothing. Just would have to use a bigger duct so one could get away without a separate blower.

Last edited by Exeric; 04-29-14 at 11:36 PM..
Exeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-14, 06:38 PM   #12
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

Just put in an airlock.
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-14, 10:44 PM   #13
Exeric
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff5may View Post
Just put in an airlock.
I hope you're kidding. In fact I'm counting on it.
Old 05-02-14, 07:52 PM   #14
nokiasixteth
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Ive found instead of running ducts . Buying a few sheets of cheap plywood and some insulation is cheaper and bigger.
nokiasixteth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-14, 09:02 PM   #15
Exeric
Apprentice EcoRenovator

That's sounds like a good idea. However, you will still need a damper of some sort either manual or a back draft damper, like in a bathroom. The problem is the cheap backdraft dampers are all round and also require that they are not turned upside down (sideways is OK also). It might be better to have a round duct in the attic with an elbow to it so you can install a backdraft damper sideways. Then run a square plywood duct in the laundry room to the dryer.

I actually like the idea of a square roughed-in duct in the laundry room. It won't have the mickey mouse look to it of an exposed round duct.
Old 05-02-14, 09:37 PM   #16
nokiasixteth
Journeyman EcoRenovator

I was going to put a small piece of some sorta plastic in there with a hinge on top and at bottom a stiff piece of plastic or something and under it a 2x4. So the air could only flow out the vent and not backflow. Kinda like a 1 way valve for air duct but poor mans way.
nokiasixteth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-14, 03:26 PM   #17
Daox
Administrator

Have you done anything with this?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-14, 08:16 PM   #18
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

I hung a clothesline in the attic. It works perfect. I hang clothes in the morning while the attic is cool.
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeff5may For This Useful Post:
Daox (06-14-14)
Old 06-13-14, 08:46 PM   #19
Exeric
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff5may View Post
I hung a clothesline in the attic. It works perfect. I hang clothes in the morning while the attic is cool.
That's sounds like a great idea. One thing that might be a problem is trying to use that method in winter. I think most people would have a hard time getting around using a downstairs dryer of some sort in winter. The thing I liked about Nokia's idea was that it eliminates using the downstairs conditioned air as the makeup air for the dryer. That's important in both winter and summer. You can use the heat up in the attic for the downstairs dryer in spring, summer, and fall and you can also avoid exhausting conditioned house air in winter, spring, summer, and fall with that method.

I'm still working on the design stage using a lot of Nokia's ideas. I'll get to actually implementing it eventually. I've got just too much on my plate with other renovations requiring more immediate attention.
Old 08-12-14, 08:40 AM   #20
8307c4

I have worked in my attic before...
Back in the days, when I brought the insulation from R-11 / R-19 up to R-50.

In that time I drew the following conclusions:
1. It's not somewhere I want to be for any length of time.
2. It's hot up there on a mild day.
3. I have no business being in an unfinished attic.

It pretty much rules out any uses such as for drying clothes, not to mention the humidity...