EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Off Topic > The Billiards Room
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 04-04-12, 09:53 AM   #1
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Default Reliable Information Source for Petroleum News...

Here is a link to The Oil Drum, a website with highly reliable news and analysis on events and developments in the petroleum industry.

Most of the articles are written by geologists and engineers in the industry.

During the British Petroleum disaster in the Gulf of Mexico, this site was the only reliable source of information and analysis I came across, often leading media stories by weeks or months.

If you really want to know what's going on, this is the place to start.

Of course, some of the blog comments have questionable validity, but it's fairly easy to sort the good apples from the bad.

-AC

Old 04-04-12, 10:29 AM   #2
Daox
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_Hacker View Post
Of course, some of the blog comments have questionable validity, but it's fairly easy to sort the good apples from the bad.

I'd have to say thats true of every blog I've ever read.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-12, 10:48 AM   #3
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
I'd have to say thats true of every blog I've ever read.
I don't know if you already know about this site, but in my view, it stands far above anything else.

There are the various ASPO (Association for the Study of Peak Oil) sites that are also great, but for timely analysis and trend-spotting this one is where I start.

-AC
Old 06-04-12, 05:00 PM   #4
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Default US Military Prepares for Fuel Shortages

Although I am not a willing supporter of the obscene amount of money spent by the US military, it is of interest that formalized planning is taking place within the military against the event of energy shortages. Why doesn't Congress talk more about this?

"To ensure mission sustainability when supplies are not assured, the Defense Department should incorporate an additional pillar into its operational energy security strategy ˇX that of energy resilience."

More here... Energy for the Warfighter

-AC
Old 06-08-12, 01:57 PM   #5
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Default An Accidental Environmentalist

Retired Brig. Gen. Steven Anderson calls himself “an accidental environmentalist.”

His epiphany about climate change started with a tactical problem. In 2006 and 2007, when he served as the military’s chief logistician in Iraq, he coordinated the transport of millions of gallons of fuel across the country to power everything from vehicles to the large compressors used to cool individual tents—or, as Anderson puts it, for “air conditioning the desert.” He was taking one casualty for every 24 fuel convoys, and he was doing 18 convoys a day. That’s one casualty every other day. He needed to get the trucks off the road. He needed to find a way to reduce the military’s fuel use.

MORE...

-AC
Old 06-16-12, 08:53 AM   #6
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Default CO2 Per Capita Per Year

FYI

-AC
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CO2-Tons-per-capita-per-yesr.gif
Views:	961
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	2391  
Old 07-20-12, 11:15 AM   #7
menaus2
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Location: Driftless Region, North America, Earth, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy,Virgo Supercluster

Yeah, peak oil is more about flow rates and EROEI (energy return on energy invested) than simply reserve numbers. Sure there is a vast amount of unconventional oil in the tarsands, shale, and deepwater, but you have to put in more oil to get less and less "return". There's a lot of oil in that "long tail" of the extraction profile.

The fact that anyone is bothering extracting this expensive, unconventional oil already tells you everything you need to know. IMO, we already see the global economy bumping into the peak and throttling back into recession in response to energy price spikes. The strongest effects are currently seen in the financial world where failure to get expected growth is popping major bubbles and long brewing financial problems. The economy and financial world are the first places to show stresses of peaking oil, not necessarily the gas pump. A lot of what society operates on are expectations (reflected in bonds, budget projections, markets, currencies etc..). It'll be interesting to see what happens when the reality of peak oil and climate change sink in.

As far as info goes, I find that Chris Martenson has a pretty level head and explains things very well. James Howard Kunsler and Michael Ruppert tend to be on the hysterical side, and don't provide much usable info.

Have a nice day
menaus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-12, 12:59 PM   #8
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by menaus2 View Post
As far as info goes, I find that Chris Martenson has a pretty level head and explains things very well. James Howard Kunsler and Michael Ruppert tend to be on the hysterical side, and don't provide much usable info.
I think we're pretty much on the same page here...

I've looked over Martenson's stuff too, and he seems to have the story straight. But the question that needs to be asked next, is what do you do with the knowledge after you have it? It looks to me like Martenson wants to position himself with those who wish to maintain their wealth or better yet, to profit from the approaching disaster. I suppose you could call those people the Oligarchs, at least that's the term that the South Americans are using now.

I'm much more interested in allying myself with community-oriented sustainability thinkers. I think Richard Heinberg speaks with clarity and truth from that point of view.

-AC
Old 07-22-12, 09:59 AM   #9
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Old 07-27-12, 05:16 PM   #10
menaus2
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Location: Driftless Region, North America, Earth, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy,Virgo Supercluster

Yeah, I think community building will be a vital part moving forward. I think Chris is coming at it from a personal resiliency angle but it's a piece of the larger community puzzle. Of course some people might try and get ahead to gain power or wealth, but might actually put you behind in a social aspect. For example these preppers armed to the teeth in their isolated farms are removing themselves from an important support system, and I'd hate to think of the psychological toll that social isolation would have.

Excellent interview btw. I like the term Intelligent Responses.
menaus2 is offline   Reply With Quote