EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Appliances & Gadgets
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 12-27-12, 11:28 PM   #1
pipodnmy

Default thermostat troubleshooting

hi,
decided to replace old mercury thermostat with Honeywell TH2110D1009 Pro 2000 Single Stage 1-Heat/Cool Thermostat from amazon.com (sorry not allowed to paste links apparently).

Old thermostat had only 2 wires (R and W = so only heat, no fan).
Connecting new thermostat was a breeze the problem is the heat does not start. Had a couple of calls with Honeywell customer service and i am still not sure what's going on.

So if some one can explain what i am seeing :
1. Using a voltage meter, i am measuring ~ 25 VAC between R and W. According to Honeywell, the thermostat i bought only works with 750ma so that's why it does not work and i have to get a 24 VAC one. That some what makes sense.

2. If i by-pass the thermostat and manually connect the R and W wires directly, which is all the (mercury) thermostat is doing anyway at the end of the day, the heat still does not turn on. So i am very confused.

3. I checked the fuses box. The apartment has a gas furnace in the basement ( i think it's one for heating and hot water) and hot water is working fine.

any help is appreciated,
thanks in advance

Last edited by pipodnmy; 12-27-12 at 11:31 PM..
Old 12-28-12, 03:04 PM   #2
Daox
Administrator

It doesn't really make sense, but does it work if the old thermostat is hooked up again?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-12, 03:12 PM   #3
pipodnmy

you are right - it does not. but the sure thing is if i connect the lines manually, the heat furnace should have fired up and it definitely does. I have a technician come to see it in a couple of hrs. I think the hot water and heat may be separate.
I discarded the old thermostat (a bit careless) but there is no way it would have worked either given that direct connection does not work now.
thanks for you reply
Old 12-28-12, 04:53 PM   #4
Daox
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipodnmy View Post
but the sure thing is if i connect the lines manually, the heat furnace should have fired up and it definitely does.
Alright, I'm getting a little confused. In the first post you said manually connecting the wires didn't turn the heat on, but now it seems it does?

&
Old 12-28-12, 05:34 PM   #5
pipodnmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
Alright, I'm getting a little confused. In the first post you said manually connecting the wires didn't turn the heat on, but now it seems it does?
sorry, i meant "it does not". the repair man was very shady, touch a few things on the furnace and it is working.
Old 12-28-12, 05:40 PM   #6
Daox
Administrator

Well, its good to hear its working. Did he explain what he did?

&
Old 12-28-12, 05:44 PM   #7
pipodnmy

that's the shady part. he said he just fixed some part but his english was very bad and combined with his attitude did not understand much of what the problem was. i know he did not much in a few minutes but that's all.