EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Renovations & New Construction
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-01-14, 01:23 AM   #1
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Default AC Insulates Under Floor of 120 Year Old Crawlspace

I have done a fairly robust job of insulating the walls of the kitchen in my house that was built on or before 1892.

But the wisdom of heat conservation trends tells me that heat loss through the floors over an unheated crawlspace can be 30%. In my case, since my kitchen walls are now 6" solid EPS & XPS, the loss is certain to be a much higher percentage.

It's now the end of August, and the thought of yet another winter with a kitchen that has an uninsulated floor is completely unappealing, so I'm giving the renovation an early start.

My son is suffering from a still sour economy, and to help him with his under employment, I've hired him as my primary mover on the project.

The first task was to clean out from under the crawl space, any refuse that got 'left' there during the last 120 years.

There were some real historical curiosities...

I'm not a car expert, but I would guess that this is a trailer (1060'?) and a Caddy (late 1960's)

Here is a tiny piece of a newspaper. I looked for a date, but no luck. My guess is any where from WWI to 1930's.

Top is a badly rusted hammer head (upholser's hammer?). I do know from historical records that the original owner was a carpenter. THis looks old enough to have been his, but it doesn't look like a carpenter's hammer.

Bottom are three bottles, some still with corks and residue. Previously, when I was digging my loop field, I found many bottles. Some were 'patent medicine' bottles, which in the time that this house was built could contain opium, sometimes even heroine. Seems it was included to relieve the ladies during their 'special days'. Since opiates cause constipation, many users of opiates also used laxatives. I have also found laxative bottles on this property. The residue could be either of these things. Interesting to note, the highest percentage of drug addiction in the US was in the late 1800's, and it was white women.

Also a medicine bottle, probably to help the men during their 'special days'.

Here is a badly decomposed hat, probably a derby, is my guess. I noticed that where the user's head came in contact with the hat, the material of the had was rotted or consumed by something

Here is a close-up of the roll of the brim... I remember seeing old flickering films of derby wearing men with brims rolled just like this. This is a Charlie Chaplin era hat... Probably dropped and lost by a workman, is my guess.

Here's a shot of actual work... 6 mil vapor barrier in place

Here's a detail of the spacers fastened to the sub floor, right next to the floor joists, to provide a 1/2" space above the foil faced EPS.

Whew!! Lotta work, lotta work to go...

Best,

-AC

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer & Caddy.jpg
Views:	2067
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	4600   Click image for larger version

Name:	lady face.jpg
Views:	2030
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	4601   Click image for larger version

Name:	hammer & bottles.jpg
Views:	2025
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	4602   Click image for larger version

Name:	whisky.jpg
Views:	2082
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	4603   Click image for larger version

Name:	old hat.jpg
Views:	2117
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	4604  

Click image for larger version

Name:	old hat(detail).jpg
Views:	2016
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	4605   Click image for larger version

Name:	vapor barrier.jpg
Views:	2124
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	4606   Click image for larger version

Name:	vapor barrier (detail).jpg
Views:	2367
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	4607  

Last edited by AC_Hacker; 09-01-14 at 01:28 AM..
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AC_Hacker For This Useful Post:
buffalobillpatrick (09-10-14), Daox (09-05-14)