EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Power
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-17, 11:05 PM   #101
jimmyaz
Lurking Renovator

Hi Creeky,

Do you sell the balance harness and parallels pcb? or know how I can buy some?

thanks

jimmyaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-17, 09:02 AM   #102
creeky
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Jimmy, I have a solar business. bobolinksolar dot com
you can contact me there. thanks

btw. for all who are following. the units are proving slow but steady. which is what I had hoped for. The dual action: tying the cells together and then the slow steady balancing. Perfect.

I would like to take a moment to be thankful. For everyone's help here. And for all the support I got elsewhere. There are quite a few names, so I will leave it as "you know who you are."

This voyage has been longer and far more fun than I had expected. From those first moments in Northern Quebec to over a year of lithium powered goodness at the farm.

Peace and happiness.

Here's to action on the CO2 reduction agenda!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Blog that is down right now but will return
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Business where I sell solar stuff
[url]https://www.bobolinksolar.com
creeky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to creeky For This Useful Post:
stevehull (10-24-17)
Old 10-23-17, 08:34 PM   #103
ybhcdch
Lurking Renovator

Default Question regarding purchasing a wrecked volt

I have just reviewed your information on using the Volt modules for solar power. Very good information and a lot of learning curve to get to this stage in your system build.
Question:
I have found a 2012 Volt that is wrecked. Systems are still operable. Owner is asking $2000 for entire car, is that a reasonable purchase price?

I don't need the motor/drive assembly so I would like to sell them separately if I purchase the vehicle.

Chris E.
ybhcdch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-17, 08:02 AM   #104
creeky
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Seems reasonable. But I have no idea as to price. I would like to get my hands on the motor and drivetrain. And imagine so would a lot of folk. Sadly I don't have the time for that right now. But you should have good luck selling off the bits.

Post a thread on your adventure. Looks like good fun.

The Following User Says Thank You to creeky For This Useful Post:
ybhcdch (10-24-17)
Old 10-27-17, 04:10 PM   #105
creeky
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Voila. Here is the first of the complete "RedWing" bms boards rolling off the line. This is for the Volt lineup. 12S with the PCB allowing up to 12 modules to be tied together.

(I call them "RedWings" because the redwing blackbirds are the defenders of my local fields and creek. They'll attack any predator, whether its threatening their nest or even another species. Its a sight to behold when they gather the posse, often 5 species of male birds, to do a grounds sweep.)

I would like to send a shout out to Alan, who provided the back boards/decals (for free); Brad, who assembled the boards (awesome job my friend); David, (aka, the brains) and Creeky (ahem) who did the artwork and who drove the project.

You are all champions of the right to better solar circa 2017! I applaud you!

Old 11-16-17, 10:11 AM   #106
creeky
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Just an update on the balancers. They are working perfectly. I was actually able to find and rescue a way out of balance module. Took a week to come into balance but has been sitting there working perfectly for a week now. Huzzah.

I can custom build these things in any size. 6S to the moon. 13S, whatever.

Just a word to newbies. Okay. I started out thinking I didn't need a BMS. And its true. For a year or two you can do without the bms. But the really out of whack module showed me that for long term. Or if you don't feel up to checking the balance regularly. Get a BMS.

My active balancing unit is perfect. Hint hint. Smile.

Old 11-17-17, 07:09 PM   #107
medicdude
Lurking Renovator

Nothing should beat the cost-capacity of standard Lead Acid batteries, they have been around the longest and should still be the cheapest for power capacity.

Unless you find something else at a huge clearance/lost revenue discount, you won't be able to beat standard Lead Acids.

Lead Acids are much heavier than LiPo designs for their capacity (also called power density), which is the main reason they are not being considered for electric vehicles.
medicdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-17, 07:35 PM   #108
NiHaoMike
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicdude View Post
Nothing should beat the cost-capacity of standard Lead Acid batteries, they have been around the longest and should still be the cheapest for power capacity.

Unless you find something else at a huge clearance/lost revenue discount, you won't be able to beat standard Lead Acids.

Lead Acids are much heavier than LiPo designs for their capacity (also called power density), which is the main reason they are not being considered for electric vehicles.
LiFePO4 is getting pretty close to lead acid prices nowadays, and in fact is already cheaper after accounting for longer lifetime.
Old 11-17-17, 08:27 PM   #109
medicdude
Lurking Renovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiHaoMike View Post
LiFePO4...and in fact is already cheaper after accounting for longer lifetime.
You got any real prices comparisons or bench test data to back that up?

When I compared consumer wholesale prices a few years ago, Lead Acid was still a much better value for the power capacity than anything else. But I haven't done it for 2017 yet, and I would love to see how the gap has closed.
medicdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-17, 01:34 AM   #110
NiHaoMike
Supreme EcoRenovator

https://smile.amazon.com/Tenergy-LiF.../dp/B01M4P35Z9
That's a little less than $150 for what would basically make a 110Ah, 12.8V pack. That's already cheaper than good quality lead acid. Cheap lead acid can be had for less than that, but wouldn't last as long especially if used a lot.