EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Other Improvements
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 09-01-10, 06:27 AM   #1
Daox
Administrator

Default Waste water generator

This is a pretty sweet idea. Use the falling water in plumbing to spin a generator. The article says it was mainly designed for multi-story buildigns. The prototype in the picture looks fairly simple too. I'm not sure how it deals with solids, but I'm sure thats been accounted for.

Waste Not Want Not with DMU Student’s Electric Idea | Creative Boom

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-10, 09:47 AM   #2
Piwoslaw
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
I'm not sure how it deals with solids, but I'm sure thats been accounted for.
This would be great in a building with a grey water recycling system, ie put it on the sink/shower pipe, not the solids pipe.
Piwoslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-10, 10:45 AM   #3
benpope
Helper EcoRenovator

Looks like the solids go through that pipe on the left. They likely use a screen or something to keep the &#*% from hitting the fan.

Edit: From a closer reading it looks like I am wrong- it uses a waterwheel design to keep solids from blocking it up.
benpope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-10, 03:31 AM   #4
Piwoslaw
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by benpope View Post
Looks like the solids go through that pipe on the left. They likely use a screen or something to keep the &#*% from hitting the fan.

Edit: From a closer reading it looks like I am wrong- it uses a waterwheel design to keep solids from blocking it up.
I think you're right, the by-pass is only for when the wheel gets blocked. Falling solids also have a lot of energy...

This is very similar to catching the energy of rain falling down a gutter. I wonder why that never caught on? Or has it?
Old 09-03-10, 08:15 AM   #5
benpope
Helper EcoRenovator

Piwoslaw,
Here is a short post on another message board about "gutter power":
Watermills in rain pipes - Creativity Pool
I was thinking that the power generation would be very low since it is a relatively small amount of water at any time. Also, it is intermittent. I guess if you lived in the tropics where it rains every day in the wet season and you were far from the power mains it could make sense to add it to supplement a PV system.
benpope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-10, 05:49 AM   #6
Piwoslaw
Super Moderator

Thanks for the link, Ben. I don't live in the tropics, but the last few weeks of rain got me thinkin'...
The small amount of water is partially made up for by the height from which it is falling. Minimum useful head for a hydro install is 3m/10ft, while buildings here are up to 40m/130ft (15 stories) tall. If the cost of installation was very low, then a few extra watts every now and then wouldn't hurt. Especially if you could have electricity during a T-storm when the grid goes down. But I doubt that either rain od waste water generators would be worth while for small homes.

EDIT: After reading the discussion once again I see this may be more complicated. And also not suitable for climates with many months owith temperature below freezing. It would be nice to use the potential energy of all that melting snow, though. A heated water collection tank? Too complicated...

Last edited by Piwoslaw; 09-06-10 at 05:57 AM..
Old 11-02-10, 02:20 AM   #7
bradford108
Lurking Renovator

This looks nice. Free energy is always welcome. How much energy can this generate?
bradford108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-10, 06:07 AM   #8
Daox
Administrator

The only thing the article says is it can save £926 per year. £926 is currently ~$1550 US dollars. Average cost of a kWh is $.10. So, its estimated it can make roughly 15,500 kWh/year. Not an incredible amount of power, but I'd imagine it would pay for itself quickly enough.

&
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote