EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Appliances & Gadgets
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-10, 07:59 AM   #11
Daox
Administrator

Hmm, thats a great idea. I did think about cleaning things out after doing it and thought "that will be a pain". I didn't know PVC was rated for the exhaust temps that a dryer puts out? I've only ever seen metal exhausts used.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-10, 10:26 AM   #12
Daox
Administrator

I got the dryer installed this weekend with a bit of help from my step father. Then, I realized I had not turned the water back on to them (dryer has a steam option and needs a water line)! So, I had to get some help from my cousins to pull it out and push it back in again. NOT light stuff!

First time trying out the dryer gave me an "AF" code. This means there is too much restriction in the exhaust. I don't know if I have a crunched exhaust vent behind the units, or the run is too long with too many bends. However, I stopped it and restarted it and it seemed to run just fine. I'll have to keep an eye on it. I might have to build the platform it sits on out another inch or so to allow it to not be quite as tight as it is now.

I'll get pics up soon.

&
Old 12-21-10, 08:22 PM   #13
Daox
Administrator

Here they are all hooked up and working, yay.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	house 003.jpg
Views:	920
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	1170  

&
Old 12-22-10, 08:19 AM   #14
gasstingy
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Hey, I used the same trim as around your w/d opening when I trimmed out our house! I liked the idea of using straight cuts and the rosettes instead of trying to make perfect 45 degree miter cuts.

BTW, the install looks like it belongs there, which is how it should be. Good job.
gasstingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-11, 03:22 PM   #15
Bmello
Lurking Renovator

I wanted one those LG all in one washer/dryer, yet $1300 to save energy would costs years to recoup. Thats if the machine was still working in ten years.
I measured the power consumption of my top loading washing machine and it used about
.26 kwh. We do about four loads of laundry so that amounts to 1 killawatt a week.
The dryer on the other hand can't be measured because of the three prong plug. I looked on the back it was 5000 watts. So the dryer is the culprit. I have started to run the spin cycle on the washer one more time after the wash is finished. I pulled the hose from the back of the washer and held the hose into a bucket while the spin cycle was in motion.
I was able to draw a few cups of water out of the laundry just by running the spin cycle again. This seems to help not having to run the dryer as long.
Bmello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-11, 06:13 PM   #16
strider3700
Master EcoRenovator

one advantage of the new washers is they usually have insanely high spincycle speeds. the amount of water removed by them makes a huge difference in drying time. The only advantage a new dryer has over an old one is it should have a moisture sensor and will stop when the clothes are dry rather then sit their cooking them if you pick too long of a cycle.

strider3700 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strider3700 For This Useful Post:
Bmello (02-27-11)

Tags
clothes, dryer, front load, laundry, maytag, washer