EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-14, 06:18 PM   #1
redneck
Helper EcoRenovator

Default DIY Interior Storm Windows

In another thread I posted how to insulate your windows with bubble wrap.

http://ecorenovator.org/forum/conser...nsulation.html

I really like how easily bubble wrap helps reduce heat losses thru the glass. However, it does nothing to help drafty windows.

One way to address this problem is to buy a clear film kit that is adhered to the inside window frame with sticky adhesive, then heat shrunk. The problem is that it is a one time deal, as it is destroyed when it is removed.

If you have a lot windows in your home this can get very expensive doing this every year.

What does one do then...???

You could purchase custom reusable interior storm windows.

Windows Insulation Energy Panels | Insulating Drafty Windows | Advanced Energy Panels

They are however, expensive. Roughly $9 per sq. ft. of window area.

Searching the web I came across these DIY sites for interior storm windows.

Building interior window insulation panels

Historic HomeWorks Forum :: View topic - Interior Air Panels, Instructions.

Depending on the materials used and some elbow grease. One should be able to easily fabricate these for around $1.25 per sq. ft. of window area or less.

A cheap way of reducing draft and increasing the insulation value as each inch of air space separating the windows has a insulation value of approximately R1.

This has the potential of equaling or exceeding some of the best energy efficient windows out there.

>

Last edited by redneck; 11-23-14 at 05:42 AM..
redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-14, 08:43 AM   #2
redneck
Helper EcoRenovator

Note to self...

Before posting something again, I need to remember to use "search" first. As this topic has been posted several times before evidently.

Oh well...

My bad...

>
redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-14, 08:53 AM   #3
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

It's not too bad to bring this idea back up though, it is the perfect time of year to put these up because we've already had a little taste of needing some winter heating yet still have time to put something together before the big December and January heating bill periods come in full force. My idea was to take the arttec type idea and make it a double frame so instead of having plastic on two sides, I could end up with a triple-film panel, make sure there is a slight gap between the window side of the panel and there is one more gap, plus the gap between a double pane window. So now you've gone from 1 gap to 4 airgaps. ..without spending a fortune on insulated windows. You might have people looking at your windows, and then you a little funny with super thick triple-layered plastic covered windows but I'll do it anyway.
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-14, 08:58 AM   #4
Daox
Administrator

Haha, no big deal.

Oddly enough, I was just thinking about my unfinished DIY storm windows this morning...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-14, 08:18 PM   #5
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

I am going to buy more 10 mil plastic to do my 3 big windows , I used 10 mil poly over the sliding glass doors wood trim frame , giving me 4" of air space on one side and two inches on the other half.

The Quilt / Comforter I tacked up adds 3 to 4 R value and increased U factor with its synthetic fill.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Here is a pdf on the savings possible with window treatments complete with the Math to expose the true savings and improvements.

http://learningstore.uwex.edu/assets/pdfs/B3064.pdf

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

bonus content !
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
R-Values (per inch)

Concrete = 0.10

Stone = 0.10

Brick = 0.35

Hardwood = 0.90

Softwood / plywood = 1.2

Particle board = 1.85

Insulating board = 2.60

Sidings = 1.00

Brick = 0.35

Asphalt shingles = 0.44

Wood shingles = 0.94

Built-up roofing = 0.90

Rock wool = 3.70

Mineral wool or fiber batt = 2.90

Cellulose = 3.70

Lightweight aggregate concrete = 2.00

Cement board = 2.30

Stucco / plaster = 0.20

Gypsum / plaster board = 0.90

Fiberglas = 3.16

Fiberboard = 3.45

Polystyrene extruded = 5.40

Polystyrene expanded = 4.35

Polyurethane foam = 7.70

Building paper / felt = 0.06

Cork = 2.00

Ceramic tile = 0.15

Vinyl / linoleum / rubber tile = 0.64

Synthetic carpet (level loop) = 5.90

Synthetic carpet (plush) = 4.50

Wool carpet = 4.50

Fiber / hair / jute cushion = 3.88

Flat rubber cushion = 2.72

Rippled rubber cushion = 1.82

Prime urethane cushion = 4.44

Bonded urethane cushion = 3.96

Solid wood door = 1.56

Single glass window = 0.8

nsulating double glass = 1.89

Energy plus double glass = 4.50

Last edited by ecomodded; 11-23-14 at 08:21 PM..
ecomodded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-14, 08:06 AM   #6
gtojohn
Journeyman EcoRenovator

I made exterior storms for the windows I don't open anymore. I have 50's era wood screen frames. Screens are solar. I screwed optic grade plexiglass to the back side of the frame. At the same time I re glazed the original single panes and had glass cut to match making a double pane with a 1/4" space. $30 for glass and $30 for plexi. This was last winter. Made a nice improvement on glass temps, no condensation on the coldest days. Made a huge difference on exterior sounds! I replaced the old latches which force the seam apart if locked too tight with the style that squeeze tight. For 3 windows that receive full morning sun I applied Gila Radiant reflective silver peel and stick film on the interior pane. In hindsite it would be better for summer heat for the film applied on the exterior of the plexiglass.
This is a great time to check for air leaks around windows and window trim inside and out. I was surprised at the drafts I found yesterday, used up a whole tube of caulk.
gtojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-14, 10:43 AM   #7
Daox
Administrator

Do you ever get condensation within the new air pocket you created with the new piece of glass?

&
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-14, 01:38 AM   #8
gtojohn
Journeyman EcoRenovator

No condensation. Perhaps because I did the work on cold dry days. The storm window probably really helps this. Keep in mind its relatively warm here. The average winter low is 40f. Even on the below freezing days I measured the glass temperature at about 5 degrees below room temp.

gtojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gtojohn For This Useful Post:
Daox (11-28-14)