EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-15, 01:42 PM   #101
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Thanks for the write up. I really like EV’s one size does not fit all so it is great to hear your views.
Owing both lets you have a very unique perspective. Most of us just have one or the other.

pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-15, 08:36 AM   #102
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

We have now driven over 45,000 solar power EV miles with our 2013 Chevy Volt. It is amazing to power a car so many miles on solar power. We still really like the car.

Only one oil change required so far.

OnStar collects this data.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	928
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	6329  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -

Last edited by pinballlooking; 12-01-15 at 02:40 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to pinballlooking For This Useful Post:
Roostre (12-01-15)
Old 12-02-15, 11:20 AM   #103
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Chevy Volt Crosses 100,000 Sales Milestone
Chevy Volt Crosses 100,000 Sales Milestone | CleanTechnica

I think the 2017 Volt that will be released just after the new year will have sales pickup.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
Old 12-08-15, 10:41 AM   #104
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

2016 Toyota Prius Vs 2016 Chevrolet Volt: Video Test
I thought this was a good comparison between two redesigned cars.
2016 Toyota Prius Vs 2016 Chevrolet Volt: Video Test

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
Old 01-18-16, 01:45 PM   #105
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

My sons and I went to the Greenville SC auto show.
They had the new 2016 Chevy Volt. It is limited release the 2017 will be released everywhere starting in late Feb 2016. This was the first time I have seen one in person.

50 EV miles on a charge I want this battery pack....
I think they did a good job on this car. I was excited to see one in person. The dash and controls have changed for the better. The back seats now have the must have optional seat heaters. I wish mine had that my front seats heat. I bought elect aftermarket seat heater for the back seat in mine.

Most people get a 7,500 tax credit and some states give a credit on top of that my state SC gives $2,000 tax credit.

Our 2013 Volt just went over 47K Solar powered EV miles.

We saw a double rainbow when we left the show.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160115_163537.jpg
Views:	846
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	6539   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160115_163545.jpg
Views:	834
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	6540   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160115_164333.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	6541   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	834
Size:	289.8 KB
ID:	6542   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160115_173313.jpg
Views:	814
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	6543  

Name:	1_18_2016.JPG
Views:	800
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	6544  

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
The Following User Says Thank You to pinballlooking For This Useful Post:
Roostre (01-18-16)
Old 01-18-16, 02:14 PM   #106
Roostre
EcoLearner

Thumbs up

Congrats on the 47K!!
And thanks for the photos! All great.

Have not had the opportunity to see the Gen2 Volt in person yet, but it looks like GM has really improved the breed from the posts I see on the Volt forums.

Almost afraid to look at them as I already know I will want one badly- my biggest "must have" is the heated steering wheel. After experiencing it in Wife's car it has become a "necessity".
Roostre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roostre For This Useful Post:
pinballlooking (01-18-16)
Old 01-18-16, 02:57 PM   #107
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Thanks it is amazing to drive 47K miles on just sun power and have enough solar left the run all our other needs.

Yes heated steering wheel and seats all become important if you have to use heat where you live.

Some people probably don’t realize the volt heater is just like resistive heating and takes miles off your journey if you used too much of it. That is why these features are important with a EV. With a gas burner it is just an extra item an EV it becomes a must have item.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
Old 01-18-16, 03:01 PM   #108
Roostre
EcoLearner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinballlooking View Post
Yes heated steering wheel and seats all become important if you have to use heat where you live.

Some people probably don’t realize the volt heater is just like resistive heating and takes miles off your journey if you used too much of it. That is why these features are important with a EV. With a gas burner it is just an extra item an EV it becomes a must have item.
Yep. Because gas motors are only about 27% efficient they have over 70% of the fuel turned to heat. They are actually very good at making waste heat, even when you don't want or need it.

Electric drives make very little waste heat with 90%+ efficiencies. So, as you state; these items become much more important!

I am using ERDTT more the last 30 days as its been very cold here. Love/hate relationship with it. Nice that it makes heat so fast, but hate burning any gas. My commute seems to use about 0.10 gallons so its not too bad.

Last edited by Roostre; 01-18-16 at 03:03 PM.. Reason: added ERDTT
Roostre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-16, 11:45 PM   #109
mejunkhound
Apprentice EcoRenovator

I might convert one of my old cars to electric one of these days, however,

In the meantime, my 1971 Datsun truck cost me $1000 25 years ago, all manual, no AC. It gets 42 MPG (I shut it off coasting downhill, lots of hills here). Well maintained by self.

I get about 3% on my savings.

3% of 46,000 is $1410 a year. At $2 gal for gas these days, that gets me close to 30,000 miles per year for breakeven cost. I only drive about 8K per year.

Even with free solar charge, long time till I fork out big$$ for EV. I'll pay for a couple years of grandkids college with the savings.

Losing game IMO, rebate like buying a bigger house on mortgage so you can deduct the interest ? Now, if gas starts getting near $8 gallon, then maybe, but of course then investment return will likely rise also.

I only posted this because of juvenile envy of the rich <G>
mejunkhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-16, 06:01 AM   #110
stevehull
Steve Hull

This is NOT a slam against the older and new upcoming Volt. But why would you buy a Volt when the 200 mile range Chevy Bolt is coming out in 6 months?

I admit that I have not studied spec for spec, but the price looks about the same as does the other features (seating, amenities, etc).

Steve