EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-12, 03:40 PM   #51
mariepsych
Lurking Renovator

Shall I go with a silver birch colored Certain tweed roof? How much cooler would it make the house in the summer and how about heat holding capacity in the winter. I live in a mild climate in bay area California, but it does get in the low 100s and 90's sometimes in the summer during the day with cool nights. I am concerned about the "look" of silver birch but really want the house to be a cool as possible so I don't need AC and I don't want to spend the $ for Solaris and don't know that they will hold up over time. I struggle with the curb appeal concept but maybe there will be a trend to lighter colored roofs in the future as the price of energy goes up.

mariepsych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-12, 05:35 AM   #52
amber12
Lurking Renovator

This seems great but I have a question. If it decrease temperature in summers then won't it like increase it in winters? I mean won't the house be colder in winters?
amber12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-12, 07:19 AM   #53
Daox
Administrator

Yes, it will. However, if you have enough attic insulation the effect should be minimized in either scenario.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-12, 07:39 AM   #54
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

Keep in mind, it won't matter what color your roof is in the winter once it has been painted white with snow. ..unless you are in a climate with little snow in the winter but I don't think I can include Ontario in that. I think you'd be better off to plan for the summer in this case.
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-12, 08:12 PM   #55
NeilBlanchard
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Also, the low angle of the sun in the winter and the limited daylight means that you "lose less" in the winter, so overall you can save a LOT more energy in the summer than you lose in the winter.
NeilBlanchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-14, 05:43 PM   #56
philhersey
Lurking Renovator

I took a backpack sprayer from harbor freight mixed 50% water 50% water based white opaque wood stain and then dusted my roof to lighten the shade...worked fine less stark than pure white. But now in summer I'm going to try the temporary hydrated lime whitewash I saw in earlier post! Sounds perfect.
philhersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-14, 07:44 AM   #57
Daox
Administrator

Welcome to the site Philhersey.

How well did the wood stain work for you?

&
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-14, 08:49 AM   #58
natethebrown
Apprentice EcoRenovator

I wonder if adding pigments, like a light gray pigment, would help the "desirability" of doing this on dark gray/black roofs? Since I am a youngster by most of your standards, I am not familiar with lime-washes. Doing some research, it does appear pigments in a lime-wash is very common.
natethebrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-14, 12:13 PM   #59
philhersey
Lurking Renovator

Default solid color water based opaque wood stain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
Welcome to the site Philhersey.

How well did the wood stain work for you?
.... it worked fine to lighten the shade a lot from black to light grey. It's been up there two years no problems, stays on, stays white. I painted two shingles 100% in a place not seen from street and they are fine too. Looks ok, not great, but better than if I had painted entire roof stark white.
philhersey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to philhersey For This Useful Post:
Daox (04-22-14)
Old 05-13-16, 02:13 PM   #60
BeeHappy
Lurking Renovator

Hi Mobile Master Tech,

Thank you so much for the detailed info on your certainteed silver birch roof. I'm considering to reroof with exact same material as yours. May I please ask:
- How well does your roof hold up?
- How much energy savings do you see on your bill in summer time?
- Do you see any increase in energy bill in winter time? since the roof reflects sunlight, I wonder if it makes house colder in winter.

Thanks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobile Master Tech View Post
It's actually a pleasing light gray. Wish the picture did it justice. Most white roofs are very... well, WHITE, and they tend not to stay that way. You're welcome to come look, but it looks like your trip would be a bit long!

Many home improvement stores have a large sample patch installed on the wall and smaller sample boards you can take home with a deposit. Since you aren't in the US, the specification you are looking for is "Initial Solar Reflectance". Energy star criteria are that this number must be at least 0.25 and maintain 0.15 SR after 3 years. Mine are 0.27, higher is better.

Landmark Solaris Platinum shingles from Certainteed have an ISR of 0.40 but are $$$ because of higher cost per square and more bundles to cover 1 square.

BeeHappy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooling, paint, roof