EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Power
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-17, 11:21 PM   #1
nokiasixteth
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Default What is cheaper kit or buying pieces

I have a tin top. Not real fond of drilling extra holes in the tin top. Found some s5 clamps. Am thinking of getting a small 2kw kit from go green solar within the next 2 months . Just havent made up my mind on it for sure . Any one have any results on s5 clamps on metal roofs. And im thinking prob the kit would be easiest to work on price wise

nokiasixteth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-17, 08:36 AM   #2
stevehull
Steve Hull

Look up renvu.com as they have great systems for lowest cost.

Steve
Old 02-15-17, 01:29 AM   #3
slippy
Helper EcoRenovator

What kind of metal roof? Standing seam? If so, I know of better-priced clamps than S5. There are also some that allow you to eliminate racking; the clamps become the racking.

I could also perhaps help put a system together for you. I designed/engineered/fabricated/installed my 56kWdc/40kWac system last year.
slippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-17, 10:03 PM   #4
nokiasixteth
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Roof. Roofing Sheet - Home Design Interior Decor

That is what mine looks like . It already had it on here when i bought it .
Old 02-19-17, 07:08 AM   #5
slippy
Helper EcoRenovator

Default Not standing seam

There are several different types of roof panel in those pictures, but none of them is standing seam.

Our roof is like some of the pictures. We designed and fabricated our own mounting and racking. I probably have plenty of supplies left to make some more.

I hear you, about wanting to minimize penetrations, but you HAVE to do it. For your metal roof, you'll need to go into the purlins as well; just attaching to the skin isn't going to cut it. But, that is easily done.

Before you buy anything, shoot me a copy of your quotation. I'll gladly show you where you can save some money on it.
slippy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to slippy For This Useful Post:
nokiasixteth (02-19-17)
Old 02-19-17, 11:38 AM   #6
nokiasixteth
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Will do . The more i have looked at the s5 the more it was looking like it wouldnt be near as secure as a lags into the rafters Good concept though i guess if intergrated with some that made a few penetrations . I am thinking about just buying a pallet of pannels then micro inverters (because i have shading in morning until about 9.)
Old 02-19-17, 02:03 PM   #7
nokiasixteth
Journeyman EcoRenovator

I was quoted for a 5 kw solar system has 5100 watts complete kit has 20 giga watt 255 watt solar pannels. ( have never heard of these pannels) 10 aps (does 2 pannels ) clips a little also never heard of these only emphase i have heard) solar racking iron ridge xr 10. intergrated grounding mid clamps end clamps end caps splice kits grounding straps lugs mount for comp shingle tile s tile or metal roofs 4 ft spans . Hellermann warning labels .
Permit package prep. ( dont think i need bc we dont have to have a permit to start working on our own home) .
Interconnection paper work . May prob need bc i know nothing on legal stuff for doing it on paper . I can do it my self just cant explain great.

All this for 10453. Seems a bit on steep end . But solars high
Old 02-19-17, 05:16 PM   #8
stevehull
Steve Hull

Nokia,

As I said before, go to renvu.com as a 5 kW system should be about $1.30 per watt including shipping (total of $6500). The PV system materials are about $1.10 a watt (panels, inverters, racking, labels and all roof hardware).

Look at getting twenty Enphase M215 inverters and twenty 260 watt 60 cell panels. Right now they have free Ironridge racking.

This does not include the cost of wiring to your home as this is a variable I can't predict (maybe a couple hundred $).

You do NOT need a permit package. Just call your electric utility and have them send you the application papers - they can help you with this.

Renvu also has a very nice design tool that can be used to do a 20 panel system (two strings of 10 panels each). Once that is done, then they can quote you. But know that you can bargain with them (for example, they regularly sell the M215s for $79) and they give first install discounts.

But you gotta go there and do the homework . . . . .

Good luck and beware many of the "kit" systems on the internet.

Steve

Last edited by stevehull; 02-19-17 at 05:23 PM.. Reason: clarity
stevehull is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stevehull For This Useful Post:
nokiasixteth (02-21-17)
Old 02-19-17, 05:44 PM   #9
nokiasixteth
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehull View Post
Nokia,

As I said before, go to renvu.com as a 5 kW system should be about $1.30 per watt including shipping (total of $6500). The PV system materials are about $1.10 a watt (panels, inverters, racking, labels and all roof hardware).

Look at getting twenty Enphase M215 inverters and twenty 260 watt 60 cell panels. Right now they have free Ironridge racking.

This does not include the cost of wiring to your home as this is a variable I can't predict (maybe a couple hundred $).

You do NOT need a permit package. Just call your electric utility and have them send you the application papers - they can help you with this.

Renvu also has a very nice design tool that can be used to do a 20 panel system (two strings of 10 panels each). Once that is done, then they can quote you. But know that you can bargain with them (for example, they regularly sell the M215s for $79) and they give first install discounts.

But you gotta go there and do the homework . . . . .

Good luck and beware many of the "kit" systems on the internet.

Steve
I am looking at it at the moment . I think the design tool is pretty neat
Old 02-21-17, 04:45 PM   #10
nokiasixteth
Journeyman EcoRenovator

That site is a lot better than the gogreen solar one i was on.