EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Biofuels
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-10, 08:06 PM   #11
bennelson
Home-Wrecker

Rocketstoves in all their forms are very interesting.

I built a RocketStove Grill this summer. Fun to cook on.

A local energy group is currently building a "gasirockifier" - it is a combination of rocketstove and gasifier to be used as a boiler. The fire to water heat exchange area is double-walled, welded steel tubes, one inside the other. Essentially, it's a big water jacket.

I would think a drum-within-a-drum would be a simple way to create a rocketstove with water-heating capabilities.

Isn't a natural gas water heater just a big drum with a tube up the middle? I wonder if an old gas water heat COULD be easily modified into a rocket boiler?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bennelson; 11-07-10 at 09:31 PM..
bennelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-11, 11:08 AM   #12
FredWalter
Lurking Renovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennelson View Post
A local energy group is currently building a "gasirockifier" - it is a combination of rocketstove and gasifier to be used as a boiler.
I did a websearch for "gasirockifier" and couldn't find it.

Is this project on the web anywhere? What's the current status? I'm interested in a rocket stove boiler, for heating water for use in my in-floor heat tubing.
FredWalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-11, 06:44 PM   #13
bennelson
Home-Wrecker

No, the "gasirockifier" isn't on the web anywhere that I know of. It's more a group of hard-core, hands-on kind of guys, but other than taking some digital still photos, none of them are great with blogging about the projects.

Next time I am over there, I will have to take some photos and maybe do some video interviews.

I did recently post my Rocket Grill over on Instructables if anyone is interested.

Old 09-16-11, 08:17 AM   #14
FredWalter
Lurking Renovator

Quote:
No, the "gasirockifier" isn't on the web anywhere that I know of. [...] Next time I am over there, I will have to take some photos and maybe do some video interviews.
Thanks, that would be much appreciated.

Quote:
I did recently post my Rocket Grill over on Instructables
I've already printed off a copy, and put it on my todo list.

Are round burn tubes a lot better than square or rectangular burn tubes? The cuts would be a lot simpler for the feed-tube-burn-tube connection with rectangular or square tubing.
Old 09-16-11, 09:13 AM   #15
bennelson
Home-Wrecker

I hadn't even thought about using square tube. I guess it's just that I have access to a fair amount of round tube, old water heaters and that sort of thing.

Some square tube would be special order and cost money.

I would imagine that round would be SLIGHTLY better than square in terms of airlflow going through with less turbulence.

The other thing is that if you want to wrap soft copper pipe around the outside of a tube, square wouldn't work so well.

Old 09-16-11, 12:24 PM   #16
FredWalter
Lurking Renovator

Quote:
I hadn't even thought about using square tube.
I got the idea when I saw the Heavy Duty Grover Stove on the Internet:

Heavy Duty Grover Rocket Stove
Old 09-20-11, 10:25 AM   #17
Phantom
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
The other thing is that if you want to wrap soft copper pipe around the outside of a tube, square wouldn't work so well.
With a square tube the pipe could be placed in the tube filling the corners making it more of a round shape but a small heat shield might need to be placed just below the bottom corners of the pipe so the elbows or bent pipe is not getting over heated.
Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-11, 09:04 AM   #18
benpope
Helper EcoRenovator

This is cool - a mini rocket stove made from soup cans, concrete, and perlite. He designed it to be portable and use in his fireplace. It is still in progress, but it looks like it will be a pretty sweet little setup. With such a small burn chamber he could easily connect it to a 3" flue. With the firebox heating water, it may be a viable water heater.

benpope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to benpope For This Useful Post:
philb (09-24-11)

Tags
heat, rocket stove, water, water heater, wood