EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Renovations & New Construction
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-23-12, 10:22 AM   #1
MetroMPG
Infrequent noob

Default My "10 year project": rebuilding an efficient "tiny" crooked house in Canada

So, I have taken on a giant new project ... in the form of a tiny house.

It needs a ton of work, and my nebulous, non-time-framed goal is to make it far more energy efficient than it is now, on a tight budget.

It's a ~580 square foot beauty - a bank reposession (the previous owner passed away with an outstanding home line of credit).

Some parts of it are even structurally sound! (The real estate ad called it a "true" handyman special. You know they're not joking when they add the "true" adjective.)

It will not be hard to make it more efficient than it is now: the original building is about 100 years old, poorly insulated, leaks air like a sieve and has single pane windows.

It needs to be gutted, which makes it an ideal project for eco-renovation:
  • There's water damage in most of the ceilings - fortunately, the roof was just replaced by the bank before I bought it.
  • There's next to no insulation in the walls & ceiling 2-3 inches of batt fiberglass
  • Air sealing is bad
  • There are no vapour barriers
But the worst thing about my mansion is that it's crooked. The original building (right side of photo, gable end with porch) was built on a concrete pad (no basement/crawlspace), on improperly compacted ground. As a result, it has settled naturally over the decades and is now seriously tilted, listing comically to port and down in the stern by a good 6 inches!

The rear bedroom addition (left side of photo) is on concrete footings down to bedrock, so it's level & square. It's the only part of the house that is level & square.

Three of four friends with lots of building/reno experience have said they would just knock it down and start over. But that's not in the budget. The tilt & crooked issues will be an attempt-to-repair and/or "just live with it" exercise.

Why did I buy such a sparkling gem of engineering? I have little idea what I'm doing, but learning curves are fun. Also, the lot is great and in a nice location, and the price was right (essentially, I paid for the lot - the house was free).

I started this thread now because I just saw that a local environmental group is putting on a presentation next month about passive house design. I'm not pretending I'm going to rebuild this palace to heat it just with love, sunshine and a couple of candles, but I definitely want to make it much better than it is, and ideally better than average.

Since it needs to be gutted anyway, why not?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Google-streetview-500px.jpg
Views:	2689
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	2108  

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote