EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 06-10-11, 01:39 AM   #1
osolemio
Hong Kong

Default Water metering unit: Logging/remote

For my rain water harvesting system, I would like to have two water meters - one that measures the total output (whether rain water or augmented with mains water), and another measuring how much mains water is added in case of dry rain water tank.

The difference between the two will tell me how much rain water I have actually used (or how much mains water I saved).

I can buy a combined flow/temp sensor which actually fits my existing solar heat control system, at about 150 USD a piece.

Any other ideas?

I could have used one meter only, directly on the rain water tank, but there is a return hose for cleaning so ... I would not get the correct amount. Also, as it is suction feeding from tank to house in a 32mm hose (1 1/4 inch?), I don't want to further restrict that with a meter.

If I cannot find any other solution, I will just install two crude and simple mechanical cheap meters.

Old 06-10-11, 02:22 AM   #2
munter
Lurking Renovator

I installed a regular water mains meter on my rainwater tank output to measure the rainwater consumption. These meters are just mechanical positive displacement meters. It was used, and therefore didn't start at zero but at as it is a mains meter at least I know it is accurate.

Lol - when my post count reaches critical mass I'll post a link to the work I have done on rainwater metering and rainwater tanks if it would be of interest.
munter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-11, 03:28 AM   #3
osolemio
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by munter View Post
I installed a regular water mains meter on my rainwater tank output to measure the rainwater consumption. These meters are just mechanical positive displacement meters. It was used, and therefore didn't start at zero but at as it is a mains meter at least I know it is accurate.

Lol - when my post count reaches critical mass I'll post a link to the work I have done on rainwater metering and rainwater tanks if it would be of interest.
That would be nice to see! Is it all DIY, or a package solution? You can try to PM me the link, see if that works ...

Actually, I decided for the flow meters now, I just ordered two of these:

Flow sensor (the 2.5 size)

I know it is more expensive than a regular meter, but I want it to be automatic, and so I can log it. With two meters, I will be able to track exactly when and how much rain water is used, as well as when and how much mains water is added (I hope as little mains water as possible of course ... )
Old 06-10-11, 10:03 AM   #4
Daox
Administrator

Munter, feel free to post a bunch of 'post count boosting' posts to get your post count up (preferably in its own thread so you don't cutter other's threads). Unfortuantely its needed to help identify, deter, and weed out spammers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-11, 12:17 PM   #5
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by osolemio View Post
...I will be able to track exactly when and how much rain water is used, as well as when and how much mains water is added...
osolemio,

Why do you want to measure the amount of rain water you use?

Aren't you actually interested in the amount that you reduce your mains water?

...am I missing something here?

-AC_Hacker
Old 06-10-11, 12:30 PM   #6
osolemio
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_Hacker View Post
osolemio,

...am I missing something here?

-AC_Hacker
There is already an approved meter to measure the mains water used. Some regions require that you meter the rain water to pay a charge (no kidding!) - fortunately, where I live, this is not a requirement. They are just happy I save mains water AND let less water into the sewer when it rains.

If I only measure the mains water, I don't know how much the total water use is - I can only compare with previous years use, and guesstimate.

I want to know the total used rainwater as well as mains water.
Old 06-10-11, 03:27 PM   #7
Piwoslaw
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_Hacker View Post

This would be the case when you want to monitor/reduce only your mains water consumption. If you want to monitor/reduce your total water consumption, then you need a meter on every input. The more you know about your usage, the easier it is to conserve. For example, I'd like to know what percent of my usage goes to hot water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by osolemio View Post
Some regions require that you meter the rain water to pay a charge (no kidding!) - fortunately, where I live, this is not a requirement. They are just happy I save mains water AND let less water into the sewer when it rains.
Lucky! My water bill is actually two bills - one for water and one for sewage. If I use city water for the garden, then the outdoor faucet should have its own meter so I pay only for water, else I also pay for sewage (which actually costs more than water, now that Poland has to pay huge fines for not building enough sewage treatment plants). On the other hand, if I were to use rainwater to flush the toilet then this should also be metered, or else I would be illegally increasing my sewage without paying for it.
Old 06-30-11, 09:50 PM   #8
munter
Lurking Renovator

Here is what we use to meter our rainwater. Simple but foolproof.

Renovations08: How much rainwater am I using?
Old 06-30-11, 11:45 PM   #9
Piwoslaw
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by munter View Post
Here is what we use to meter our rainwater. Simple but foolproof.

Renovations08: How much rainwater am I using?
Is there a follow-up? I'm interested in how much rainwater is being used, and what percent of total usage it is.
Old 07-01-11, 01:51 AM   #10
munter
Lurking Renovator

Here is the full story of the tanks - from planning through installation to final results.

Renovations08: water tanks

I haven't checked the meter in a while but last time I did we were still averaging 100L/day rainwater usage and our mains water usage is still somewhere around 130-140L/day. For reference our household is a detached double-brick dwelling with two adults and one child.

The Following User Says Thank You to munter For This Useful Post:
Piwoslaw (07-01-11)