EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-17, 03:08 PM   #11
philb
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Drake and Steve,
I should have specified the polypropylene fibers are so small I cannot measure the diameter with digital calipers. They look like very fine cigarette filters, IMHO, and do not stick up in the floor. With an ounce per 6 cubic feet, there are billions in the mix. That's why they work well to prevent cracking with reduced water. Concrete companies don't normally have fibers so small. You'll have to get them from a supply company.

The polymer in leveling compound will bond well with concrete. It contains VAE too.

philb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-17, 06:19 PM   #12
Drake
DIY Guy

Is VAE like "latex modified". I have read that when using anti fracture barriers and tile that it is not recommended using a latex modified thin set tile adhesive. These modern adhesives can really help until you mix the wrong ones.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-17, 09:35 PM   #13
philb
Apprentice EcoRenovator

VAE is not modified Latex but a closely related polymer.
Latex and acrylic polymers will form a barrier when they dry. That causes delamination. As long as either or both are overlaid while they are wet or tacky, it bonds well.

Some Latex paint has additives that will cause mortar to set within 15 minutes on a summer day. I avoid them because it also tends to make the mortar and concrete brittle. When I pick up a piece of that delaminated mortar, it rings like a ceramic tile and is very brittle. The cheapest Latex paint works best for me as long as it didnt have the alcohol I mentioned before.

I consider Tite Bond 2 to be a far safer bet than latex for bonding and half the price of VAE. Paint manufactures change formulations frequently.

Whatever you use, be sure to test it rigorously before putting it anywhere you have to live with.

philb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to philb For This Useful Post:
stevehull (05-04-17)