EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 12-08-11, 09:16 AM   #1
Daox
Administrator

Default Shower hot water reclimation idea

99% of the time we use our upstairs shower (standard stall with sliding glass doors approx 32"x44"). It is tiled on all three sides. One wall of the shower is an outside wall and it has glass block in it to make a window (unfortuantely facing west so you don't even get sun shine in the morning). Its a pretty shower, but really not the warmest unfortuantely.

So, I was thinking the other day, there is plenty of hot water going right down the drain. How can I use this to make a more comfortable shower and/or just put it to use? There are obviously the thin film heat exchangers that work great, but cost a lot of money as they're made totally of copper. So, the idea I came up with is pretty simple and can probably be improved upon quite a bit with input from everyone here. The idea is to stick a tube down into the trap under shower drain, pump the hot water up to the top of the shower, loop some tubing around the top of the shower, punch a bunch of small holes in it, and let it drain down the sides of the shower tile heating them up and essentially warming up the entire shower stall. I'm sure you'd need a filter of some sort to keep hair and junk out of the pump, but other than that it would be a pretty simple system.

After the shower is done, the warmed tile would contribute to heating the house also. If this is undesireable, you could simply not use it in summer. The warmer shower stall would also allow you to use less hot water to feel just as warm.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-11, 01:49 PM   #2
Piwoslaw
Super Moderator

The idea is good, but I'm afraid that you'd be long gone by the time the tiles would warm up enough to make any difference. Unless you have 3+ people using the shower one after another.

As for using the warm water to heat the house, just plugging the drain and letting the water cool down (as mentioned in the Home Energy Saving Tips) would be much simpler, and just as effective.

Here's a related idea: Since your shower is upstairs, then below it install a small container that will catch the drain water and let it cool off. When the next shower happens, the old, cool water is replaced by new, warmer water. This keeps the heat in the house, just one floor lower, and uses only gravity.

On a side note, I wonder exactly how much heat energy can be harvested from one shower? If you're trying to save water/energy anyway, then there isn't too much hot water going through the showerhead to begin with. Not all of it goes down the drain (some evaporates, some stays on your body and the shower walls), and what does has already cooled some.
Old 12-08-11, 02:01 PM   #3
Daox
Administrator

Well, from my TED usage, a ~10 minute shower takes roughly 2kWh of electricity to heat up the water. I'd imagine that 80-90% of that is wasted down the drain. Lets say we average 2 showers a day, we're looking at ~3.5 kWh/day of waste. Its not a huge amount of power, but its a constant consumption every day of the year practically.

If I shower downstairs in our tub, I do capture the water and drain it later after it has cooled (love that tip BTW). However, upstairs its just a shower stall with a ~2" lip on it. There is not much capacity for water to pool up in there.

&

Last edited by Daox; 12-08-11 at 02:05 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:
Piwoslaw (12-09-11), Ryland (12-08-11)
Old 12-08-11, 04:10 PM   #4
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
99% of the time we use our upstairs shower (standard stall with sliding glass doors approx 32"x44"). It is tiled on all three sides. One wall of the shower is an outside wall and it has glass block in it to make a window (unfortuantely facing west so you don't even get sun shine in the morning). Its a pretty shower, but really not the warmest unfortuantely.
Sounds like you have two different ideas here, warmer walls and heat reclamation.

Probably, the easiest way to warm the walls would be to have some kind of custom shower head that would spray hot water on all the walls for a short time before you got into the shower. Assuming the walls are tile, the surface of the tile would absorb enough heat to make you comfortable during the shower, and then radiate their heat into the house afterwards.

Regarding heat reclamation, there are other discussions here on ER.

-AC_Hacker
Old 12-09-11, 07:24 AM   #5
Daox
Administrator

I realize there are other ways to reclaim the heat. I was just trying the two birds with one stone approach.

&
Old 12-17-11, 12:00 AM   #6
ThomSjay
Helper EcoRenovator

Until recently, our shower/tub was a cold place to be in the winter. Then I remodeled the bathroom which included R14 rockwool in the two outside walls (where there was none before), R50 rock wool in the ceiling (R6 previously), and a double-hung, double pane window to upgrade from the original single hung 1951 window. In other words, insulate.
It's a nice comfortable place to be now.
Old 01-08-12, 12:39 PM   #7
menaus2
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Location: Driftless Region, North America, Earth, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy,Virgo Supercluster

I like the idea of simply insulating for space heating. Maybe modify Piwoslaw's idea of a storage tank, but insulate it, stick it in the basement and run a pex coil for a heat exchanger to preheat the water heater.

menaus2 is offline   Reply With Quote