EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Introductions
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-09, 11:56 AM   #1
GvilleRenovator
Greening Renovator

Default Going Green in Florida

Hello All,

I am glad to join this site after finding Ecomodder and getting going on Greaning my world.

Recently moved in with my girlfriend to a house she LOVES. I on the other hand wish it had been built a bit more Eco Friendly.

My first step was to install programable thermostats on the two A/C units and find a water leak.
I have begun the task of sealing the duct work, built out of duct board and flex. All joints were loose.

Tinting huge plate galss windows it next.

Adding cellulose insulation to the kids side of the house which has thin Fiberglass batts.

The second air handler is in the attic which I would love to find a way to put it inside. Probably just box it and insullate along with boxing the duct work and insulating it also.

A Gorund Source loop is now on the list. (thanks to AC_Hacker) Lots of homework first.
(new option would be Earth Tube)

Gray/Rain water for use in toilets.

Paint with Raidiant ceramic on exterior.

Last edited by GvilleRenovator; 09-04-09 at 03:13 PM.. Reason: Clarify
GvilleRenovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-09, 12:08 PM   #2
Daox
Administrator

Welcome to the site.

It looks like you have quite a list there! I can relate.

How do you plan to add additional cellulose insulation? Is it just in the attic?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-09, 02:35 PM   #3
GvilleRenovator
Greening Renovator

Default In the Attic.... for starters

Yes the Attic has MAYBE 4 inches of fiberglass on the kids side of the house.
It is the North side thank goodness.

After reading the thread on your Garage... Uh... no.... I can't even think it.

I need to find out how thick the walls are on this house. I hate doing Drywall work but if they are only 2X4, the Mooney wall may be worth thinking about.
GvilleRenovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-09, 07:50 AM   #4
larryrose11
Efficency nerd

Gvill,
Welcome!
in my experience, preventing the heat loss / gain is much more cost effective than a green method of producing that heat difference.
Sealing up the house living areas away from the non-living areas from air intrusion should be job 1. In the attic, seal all the wall headers and wire protrusions. The old fiberglass insulation will be your proof: The fiberglass will be dirty where air has been passing through, unless there have been big air leaks, like recessed lights (which are air pumps when the light is on!) use EPDM weatherstripping on the attic hatch, and get the hatch some weight with a 2x4 frame, and fill that with foam board. The list goes on...
here is a good thread on the sister-site:
Attic insulation - Fuel Economy, Hypermiling, EcoModding News and Forum - EcoModder.com

larryrose11 is offline   Reply With Quote