Go Back   EcoRenovator > Introductions
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 07-18-13, 05:20 AM   #1
Jeremy1320
Lurking Renovator

Default another new guy here

Hello everyone,
My name is jeremy and I just came in this forum. I'm here to learn some new ideas that could be helpful and applicable on my home. Love my kids and family.

I bought a water heater in march and I get maybe 5 minutes of hot water then it turns cold I called whirlpool and they sent me a new valve
and had it installed but I still can't get more then 5 min of hot water now whirlpool tells me to pull the cold water dip tube and see if it is broken but I don't know where to look for the dip tube can you help me. the model
number is BFG1F4034T3NOV. Any one help me to figureout the problem or your thoughts.

Thanks!

Old 07-18-13, 06:40 AM   #2
stevehull
Steve Hull

First, welcome to the group. I assume this is an electric unit? I think the thermostat is bad or not adjusted correctly.

The dip tube normally goes all the way to the bottom of the tank and supplies water there. If it is broken, then cold water is introduced on top, but the water should still be warm.

If you have a current meter, you could measure the power (not voltage) to the unit to determine how long the unit is on.

If it is a gas unit, then the gas control valve could be malfunctioning (again). In this case, see how long the burner is on. I have seen a situation where the gas line to a water heater was partially blocked by rust (inside steel pipe). The rust clogs up the valve. Can you remove valve and look there?

Steve

Last edited by stevehull; 07-18-13 at 06:44 AM..
stevehull is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stevehull For This Useful Post:
Jeremy1320 (07-19-13)
Old 07-18-13, 08:06 AM   #3
Daox
Administrator

Welcome to the site. Steve has some good suggestions.

Does the water get cold suddenly or gradually? How high is your water heater temperature turned up?

As a general tip, its a really good idea to install a low flow shower head too. I really love my earth massage 1.25GPM showerhead. That would give you twice as much time in the shower with hot water over a standard 2.5 gpm showerhead. Not that that should be the fix to your problem, just a general tip.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:
Jeremy1320 (07-19-13)
Old 07-19-13, 04:44 AM   #4
Jeremy1320
Lurking Renovator

thanks for your greetings all help and suggestion. at last they come to my home and make my water heater totally okk. yeah it was valve and adjustment problem. have a nice day
Old 07-19-13, 10:25 AM   #5
Daox
Administrator

I'm glad to hear you got things sorted.

&
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote