EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-14, 11:28 PM   #51
ICanHas
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff5may View Post
Believe me, with the onslaught of technology that has been thrown into this sector during the last decade, there is no shortage of inverter-driven designs heading to the scrap yards every day. With the continued penetration of inexpensive, proprietary mini-split units into the market, the number of techs blaming "that SAMSONIC JUNK unit" they have no idea how to fix is increasing the number of purely hackable units being condemned. They are even showing up on craigslist and freecycle!
But when this proprietary 12 legged power craptronic component in the embedded junkthem is fried and the board basically can't be repurposed and OEM is pretty much useless in providing support network, what would you do with it? By eliminating service parts supply chain and not even having competent engineers in house, they're cutting operating cost, but what about the sin of conspicuous consumption of raw materials and plastic parts and e-waste that end up in landfill?

"throw it out, we don't want old one back, cuz we don't wanna pay shipping, we'll just give you a new one" is the new model with the recent China made junk.

ICanHas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-14, 07:05 PM   #52
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

Answer: the unit then ends up at the scrap yard or on craigslist, where we can obtain the unit and hack it! Or, like xringer, you get a freebie unit due to the manufacturer not wanting the old one back. Now he has two mini-split units running in his house (after a diy repair).
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-14, 07:08 PM   #53
Mikesolar
Master EcoRenovator

Jeff, I don't think he'll answer you. He is kinda, like.....banned, DUH
Mikesolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-14, 07:19 PM   #54
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Doh! I was googling for images and this thread came up. When I read through it, I saw the skeptical post at the end and had no choice but to respond. Sorry.

Now that some time has passed, there are a few members with the type of unit spoken of in their possession. The outdoor unit has an eev with either no indoor unit to communicate with or a fried controller.

Last edited by jeff5may; 11-11-14 at 07:28 PM..
Old 11-11-14, 07:24 PM   #55
NiHaoMike
Supreme EcoRenovator

He's a weird troll who dislikes most of new technology yet he strongly likes to push PFC in residential applications where it mostly makes little sense. I'm going to guess that he doesn't know how to work on new technology and he's trying to impede the new technology taking over by making it more expensive and less reliable.
Old 11-11-14, 07:51 PM   #56
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

I welcome new technology, it makes the new stuff of today cheaper tomorrow.

My son's "new" computer was built around an Asus rog motherboard I found online for dirt cheap. The previous owner was convinced that the amd phenom 2 platform was no longer any good. When I came to pics up the goods, dude literally had a whole room full of perfectly fine parts.I gladly took a lot of the old junk off his hands. Now, my son has a screaming quad core, a ssd raid, a vapor-x video card, a mechanical keyboard, and a fan sandwich in the case. I think it cost under a hundred dollars once I sold the other parts on eBay.

Gotta love the bleeding edge.