EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Introductions
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 01-28-14, 05:17 PM   #1
WB2014
Lurking Renovator

Default Hello from wisconsin

Due to the rising cost of propane and electricity I'm looking for alternative ways to heat my home. Just built my home three years ago. The walkout basement has in floor heat(not hooked up yet) with propane forced air to heat the house.Also have attachet garage with infloor heat, which is not hooked up ether. I'm looking to heat my domestic hot water,and infloor heat with solar. Just trying to figure out on sizing the solar panels, and heat exchanger.

Last edited by WB2014; 01-28-14 at 05:19 PM..
WB2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-14, 05:40 PM   #2
Daox
Administrator

Welcome to the site WB2014. A solar setup sounds like a great idea to me. I am in the middle of one myself. There is a LOT of planning involved, but I think it'll all be worth it. Good luck and feel free to ask questions.

Also, in case you haven't been there yet, Build It Solar is packed with DIY solar info.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-14, 06:47 PM   #3
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

WB2014

We're heating concrete floor and our domestic hot water with solar. The rule of thumb for flat plate area to floor is a min of 10% For areas like the sunny southwestern states to a more reasonable 30% for parts of the world such as ours. A 1000 sq ft of floor could be serviced with 300 sq. ft. of panel. In our northern climate 30% is a more realistic performer.

Recently in Ont. Canada Propane increased 18% this month and electricity up in Nov. 12% Oddly Nat. gas has stayed quite steady

Randen
randen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-14, 07:45 PM   #4
WB2014
Lurking Renovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by randen View Post
WB2014

We're heating concrete floor and our domestic hot water with solar. The rule of thumb for flat plate area to floor is a min of 10% For areas like the sunny southwestern states to a more reasonable 30% for parts of the world such as ours. A 1000 sq ft of floor could be serviced with 300 sq. ft. of panel. In our northern climate 30% is a more realistic performer.

Recently in Ont. Canada Propane increased 18% this month and electricity up in Nov. 12% Oddly Nat. gas has stayed quite steady

Randen
There's a shortage. Propane is selling as much as $5 a gal. Thinking about using closed loop solar heater with antifreeze. Right now all I have is pipes in the concrete. No manifolds for in floor heat. I'm currently working on a pop can solar heater for my deer stand. What a job this has become. It's only 3'x5',But for a 8'x8'x6' deer stand I'm hoping it'll heat it. My house sq footage is only 1,200. How do you figure out sizing the solar collector? Oh btw everyone thinks I'm crazy and wasting my money by doing this. I like proving people wrong.
Old 01-29-14, 08:08 AM   #5
Daox
Administrator

Its not a simple answer, so here is a good reference:

How much solar collector area do I need to heat my home?

&
Old 01-30-14, 06:39 PM   #6
WB2014
Lurking Renovator

Would it make any difference if you ran 1/2" copper lines through pop cans?
Old 01-31-14, 08:48 AM   #7
WB2014
Lurking Renovator

Would there be any gain to run 1/2" copper lines through pop cans for more absorption? Instead of the absorption plates?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	612
Size:	442.0 KB
ID:	3935  

Last edited by Daox; 01-31-14 at 02:46 PM..
Old 01-31-14, 11:54 AM   #8
Daox
Administrator

Nope, if you want more heat, you need more square footage of collector area. Some collectors are more efficient than others. The aluminum screen ideas are the easiest to build with minimal additional expense, and they are a bit more efficient than can style as well.

DIY Solar Air Heating Collectors: Pop Can vs Screen Absorbers

&
Old 01-31-14, 02:41 PM   #9
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

If you want a system on your house to last more then a year or two it's worth while to go with a proven design and quality components.
I'd start out by calling up a local installer, you are not far from Eau Claire WI where Next Step Energy is located, they have been installing solar hot water systems for many years, even if you paid them to design a system for you and spec out components and then you buy and install everything your self you'll come out ahead, doing repairs on failed solar hot water systems is not fun or cheap.
Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-14, 03:35 AM   #10
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

Quote:
Originally Posted by WB2014 View Post
There's a shortage. Propane is selling as much as $5 a gal. Thinking about using closed loop solar heater with antifreeze. Right now all I have is pipes in the concrete. No manifolds for in floor heat. I'm currently working on a pop can solar heater for my deer stand. What a job this has become. It's only 3'x5',But for a 8'x8'x6' deer stand I'm hoping it'll heat it. My house sq footage is only 1,200. How do you figure out sizing the solar collector? Oh btw everyone thinks I'm crazy and wasting my money by doing this. I like proving people wrong.
Like Forrest Gump said, "Stupid is as stupid does.", they can't tell you how to spend your money.

Sizing the collector depends on your heat load and design goals. If you want to satisfy 99% of your heating demand with solar, it will take much more collector area than merely 85%, and probably some sort of heat store.

I wish you success in this endeavor. Let us all know how it goes.

jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote