EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Other Improvements
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 12-11-10, 11:32 AM   #1
Higgy
The Gardener

Default Vent Cleaning...Please Look

So I had my vents cleaned and I just have to ask...is this normal? We had our vents cleaned before by a different company and I never had these issues. My wife was home while they did it so I didn't get to see what they were doing. Something I know they shouldn't have done was wreck my cold air intake vent covers. They're all bent as you can see in the screenshots. I tried bending them back, but they bent them in such a way that they won't go back to normal. Then they put 1" holes all over my main rectangular part of my cold and hot air vents downstairs in the basement, and all they did was covered them up with metallic tape. Again shown in the pictures below. Is this normal procedure? I'm guessing putting holes every 4 feet is normal to clean the main vents, but to just put metallic tape over top? That doesn't seem right. Also, from my previous cleaning they had capped part of my vent properly...well when these guys went to recap it, it's like they didn't bother lining the screws back up and just punctured new holes instead. I found one screw hole right beside one of the proper caps with holes where they just taped it up.

I had taken half a day off and my wife picked me up after they were done and we went Christmas shopping. When we got home later on in the day I went downstairs, and although not a big deal, but they had left my furnace filter half way out. So my newly cleaned vents were now slightly dirty again because my furnace was running while we were out for the other half of the day and it only had half a filter sticking in the furnace. I'm kind of ticked off at what seems like a shoddy cleanup and the wrecking of my vent covers.

Anyway, please let me know if this is normal. I'm going to complain about the white cold air vent covers for sure, but I want to know what else to complain to them about.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2956.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	1138   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2958.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	1139   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2961.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	1140   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2962.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	1141  

Last edited by Higgy; 12-11-10 at 11:34 AM..
Higgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-10, 11:35 AM   #2
strider3700
Master EcoRenovator

The guys that did mine didn't tape the big patch they put over the large cut outs, I had to do that. Mine didn't drill 1" holes anywhere though. And they didn't damage anything. I'm not sure what the holes are for.
strider3700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-10, 12:13 PM   #3
iamgeo
Apprentice EcoRenovator

I do not think it is "normal" for a company to damage your stuff.
I would be on the phone to management and have him come over to see the damage himself. Then have them right their wrong.
iamgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-10, 01:04 PM   #4
Daox
Administrator

I agree with iamgeo. They shouldn't have damaged anything. The taped over holes I wouldn't be too concerned with though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-10, 08:17 PM   #5
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

Tape is not duct work and should not be used to do anything other then seal cracks or seams, you can get rubber plugs to plug the holes and that is what they should have done, not tape, try pulling the tape off right now and see how easily it pulls off easily.
When I had my ducts cleaned they drilled the holes where they needed to get at bends in the duct work, or where a run was to long for their compressed air hose, they use a compressed air hose with a 360 degree spray to either push the dust, or another that pulls the dust along with the hose.
But I would call them up and ask they they left it unfinished without telling you when they would be back to fix what is wrong.

Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote