EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Introductions
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 08-22-13, 01:59 AM   #1
jeff88
Lots of questions

Default Greetings from San Jose!

Hey guys! This is my first post here at ER, but I've been hanging out at EM and read some stuff here on occasion. (Thanks Daox!)

We just moved to our new house! Woohoo! It's a beautiful home and being that we are in San Jose, California, we don't have to worry about extreme temperatures (hot or cold). That means we don't have to worry quite as much about stuff like insulated basements and the such. The downside is that payback times are longer, because there won't be as large of a swing. The only issue I have to deal with is that we are renting, so I can only take extreme measures to a point!

The house has some nice 'eco' items already, including dual flush toilets, attic insulation, AstroTurf front lawn, dishwasher, fluorescent lights in some rooms and some other things. There are some things that need to be fixed, so to speak.

My first project I am working on is filling in some gaps. I know for a fact that one of the wall A/C units has a huge gaping hole all the way around it. Whether I end up using the A/C or not, the holes have to go! The second one is still blocked by moving boxes, so I will have to check. Eventually, I would like to get a central a/c and connect it to the current ducting for the central heating. I think this would be more efficient than fans and two wall a/c units. I will check doors and windows as well at the same time for any cracks and seal appropriately. I also picked up some light switch and outlet gaskets, so they will be nice and sealed. (:

My second project is lighting. We have some incandescent pot lights around the house, so I will swap them for CFL or more likely LED. I probably won't do this until after winter, as the lights will provide a little heat during the cold months.

I will also add a water heater blanket and some pipe insulation for the hot water pipes.

Eventually I will get into the attic and investigate what's going on up there. I know it already has some fiberglass up there, but not sure what else is currently there (nor what I should look for). I guess if/when I am going to do that I should do some research on the crawl space (not sure what needs to go there either, maybe some insulation?).

I also have a plan to add some retractable sun shade on one of the porches. I can't call it the front or back, it's more of the 'side' porch, but it is on the west side of the house and we are the last house on the block with a nice open park next to us, so we get the full brunt of the sun. I want it retractable, so I have flexibility (say when it rains). I'll add it to the top and sides of the porch, to protect it from the sun as much as possible (and make it pleasant to sit on).

I need a new shower head (it doesn't flow right anymore), so I plan on getting a new one with low flow. 2 of the 3 toilets are already dual flush and the third won't be used much, if at all (same with that shower head as well). I also have some pieces to limit water usage in the toilets. It is designed to make more water flow into the tank and less into the bowl while refilling.

We have a converted garage with 3 windows, which are on the south side of the house and the wall is flat and boring with no curb appeal, so for form and function, I plan on adding 3 awnings that will be the right angle/size to let light in during winter without letting heat in during summer. (That is where the 2 a/c units are, so they will not be as necessary if at all).

jeff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-13, 08:14 AM   #2
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

Welcome to the site, Jeff! Sounds like you have your work cut out for you until Christmas (if you're ambitious) or later (if you're not).
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-13, 07:42 AM   #3
Daox
Administrator

Welcome to ER Jeff. Sounds like you got a good handle on where to start with things.

I'd like to take this time to brag about the shower head I have. I really like it. Its a Niagara Conservation Earth 1.25 gpm showerhead. That is half the typical 2.5 gpm heads but you honestly cant tell. Its also really cheap! I know showerheads are a kind of tricky thing, sometimes you find good ones, sometimes bad. So I like to throw my 2 cents in because I really do like this one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Daox; 08-23-13 at 04:52 PM..
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-13, 04:08 PM   #4
jeff88
Lots of questions

@jeff5may: I don't plan to have everything done by Christmas, but one can wish (Christmas wish?)! If only my magic wand would hurry up and get out of the shop!

@Daox: Your link won't work for me, but I know which one you are talking about. I would loooove to have that one, but a happy wife is a happy life! (I don't have a wife, but my girlfriend and I will be together for 11 years in October; outside of CA, we would be commonly married) I will have to see if she likes it, but that would require trying it, of course.
Old 08-23-13, 04:53 PM   #5
Daox
Administrator

Try this:

Niagara Earth Massage 1.25GPM Low flow showerhead - Amazon.com

&
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-13, 08:26 PM   #6
jeff88
Lots of questions

Worked like a charm! The other nice thing about that one is the price. It's not $30 or $40 or even $80.

I realized that this is an introductory thread and I introduced my house, but not myself.

I am going to be 25 in October. I am a full time student at a community college double majoring in Business and Environmental Studies. I will *try* to transfer to San Jose State next fall. I wanted to this year, but it wasn't in the cards. Because of my ES background, I know the theory of most of the stuff talked about here, it's the practical that I will always need help/confirmation with.

I want to own my own green business one day (hence the reason for double majoring). I'm not sure what exactly it will be, but I have some ideas for products, both to produce and conserve energy as well as transportation related items.

I am an avid sports fan. I love watching football, baseball, hockey, basketball, soccer, etc. I also play recreational hockey right down the street from where the San Jose Sharks play.

Thats me in a nutshell. I work in retail, which is always a dead end, so my 'mods' as well as my 'inventions' always come slowly as my time is usually spent making not enough money to pay for my projects!