EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Lighting
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-15, 10:38 PM   #11
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

I am happy to hear commercial lighting is changing over to led's so quickly , it will help with future developments and prices in the end.
LED"s fit in with very well with modern design , there is only so much you can do with a T8 fixture.
I heard that florescent tubes can cause health problems. I don't think anyone will miss them.

I am currently turning a tube fixture into a led fixture , still waiting for the power supply , the four 20" aluminum strip led lights have arrived. I will be happy to be rid of its flickery nasty start up tubes.

It is hard to introduce a idea if there's no one to introduce it too...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ecomodded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-15, 06:15 PM   #12
Elcam84
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Well the store we are finishing is the last to have t8 fixtures in the kitchen. The one we start in two weeks will be the first with all led lighting. Hopefully none get damaged in shipping as they will cost more to replace than regular t8s.
Maybe we will eventually get to use 14 ga wire for lighting instead of 12 cause the amp draw is so much less. Cheaper and easier to pull.
Elcam84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-15, 12:00 AM   #13
skyking
Helper EcoRenovator

The directional aspect of the design addresses a big problem IMO, light pollution. Maybe someday people in the suburbs and cities can see a hint of the glory of the night skies.
skyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-15, 07:51 AM   #14
Robaroni
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Elcam84,

Thanks for the post, I'm using these lights for my home. They are very good and I even made a couple of work lights with them:

10W 20W 30W 50W 100W LED Flood Light Outdoor Landscape Lamp Waterproof IP65 | eBay

I originally had this one but it didn't put out good light so I sent it back:

Portable Work Light LED Workshop Lighting Garage 108 Watt Shop Stand Lights | eBay

Rob
Robaroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-15, 08:07 AM   #15
skyking
Helper EcoRenovator

Those look sweet, thank you.
skyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-15, 08:11 AM   #16
Robaroni
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking View Post
Those look sweet, thank you.
I'm using the 10 and 20 watt one's which seem to be bright enough for what I'm doing. I'm surprised at how well made they are for the price and I found a US distributor searching around on ebay.

Rob
Old 03-21-15, 08:10 AM   #17
Travis
Helper EcoRenovator

I have read that led traffic lights fail miserably in the harsh cold winter weather. How will these LED parking lot lights function if the temperature goes much below zero?
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-15, 08:22 AM   #18
Robaroni
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
I have read that led traffic lights fail miserably in the harsh cold winter weather. How will these LED parking lot lights function if the temperature goes much below zero?
Travis,
I'm wondering if the failure is not due to the LED itself but the associated circuitry. I have modified garden lights I use to keep Deer away from the garden. They blink in a random sequence to give the appearance of predator's eyes. Anyway I've seen the lights blinking away in 10 below F with no problems. In fact they have been sitting there for years just under the power of the sun to recharge the AA battery.
Also LED's have much better cold tolerance than CFL's.
Rob
Old 03-21-15, 08:22 AM   #19
Travis
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robaroni View Post
Elcam84,

Thanks for the post, I'm using these lights for my home. They are very good and I even made a couple of work lights with them:

10W 20W 30W 50W 100W LED Flood Light Outdoor Landscape Lamp Waterproof IP65 | eBay

I originally had this one but it didn't put out good light so I sent it back:

Portable Work Light LED Workshop Lighting Garage 108 Watt Shop Stand Lights | eBay

Rob

I had purchased the following LED work light from Home Depot.

Husky, 5 ft. 1720 Lumen Led Work Light with Tripod, WL1720LT-H at The Home Depot - Mobile

At 1700 lumens output, it fills a nicely-lit area that measures only 2.5 amps of on my kilowatt meter. It is twice the price of the product you listed is still very reasonable for the small amount of power it uses.
Old 03-21-15, 08:26 AM   #20
Travis
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robaroni View Post
Travis,
I'm wondering if the failure is not due to the LED itself but the associated circuitry. I have modified garden lights I use to keep Deer away from the garden. They blink in a random sequence to give the appearance of predator's eyes. Anyway I've seen the lights blinking away in 10 below F with no problems. In fact they have been sitting there for years just under the power of the sun to recharge the AA battery.
Also LED's have much better cold tolerance than CFL's.
Rob
I know for certain that they will not melt snow. perhaps the snow or the snow melt is what cause failure in the traffic light product