EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Appliances & Gadgets
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-10, 05:15 PM   #1
TimJFowler
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Default Looking for a durable Indoor/Outdoor thermometer

Does anyone know of a long-lived indoor/outdoor thermometer?

Until recently I've used an inexpensive, battery-powered indoor/outdoor thermometer (brand name rhymes with "Bore-Again Soporific"). The first one lasted 1.5 years, and the second one lasted < 1 year. I bought a replacement that was bad out of the box, which I returned. Then I bought just the remote sensor, which was also bad out of the box which I returned.

I have no confidence in the "B.S." brand after those experiences and I'm not optimistic about similar offerings from other companies. I don't need a "hobbyist grade" weather station (which run in the hundreds of dollars). But, I would like a thermometer which isn't disposable.

Thanks,
Tim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TimJFowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-10, 06:20 AM   #2
Daox
Administrator

I also wouldn't mind having a good one. I'm on my 3rd one in 2 years. I have yet to find a good one though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-10, 10:32 AM   #3
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

mine is an Acu-rite and has been working well for 2 years now, the remote on it has a wired temp sensor and a built in temp sensor, the wired sensor over rides the built in one when it's plugged in, it allows you to have the box with the battery in it placed inside if you want the battery to last longer, it also reads humidity both inside and outside.
paid about $25 for it and have never had a problem, I think the one my parents have is the same brand and is going on 5+ years? they have a whole bunch of cheaper indoor/out door thermometers as well for keeping tabs on garden produces stored in ice chests.
Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-10, 12:28 PM   #4
Daox
Administrator

I did some searching on amazon today. Apparently the wireless units are sold separately from the base/monitors. So, if one part goes bad you don't have to replace everything. I wasn't aware you could do that.

&
Old 12-09-10, 12:32 PM   #5
TimJFowler
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
I did some searching on amazon today. Apparently the wireless units are sold separately from the base/monitors. So, if one part goes bad you don't have to replace everything. I wasn't aware you could do that.
Yep, and I tried that. The replacement wireless thermometer I received was bad out of the box! Let's just say the product doesn't fill me with confidence.

I've been looking at some of the "old-school" analog outdoor thermometers and will be checking those out soon. Hopefully a lower tech version is more reliable.

Tim

Last edited by TimJFowler; 12-09-10 at 12:35 PM..
TimJFowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-10, 12:33 PM   #6
Daox
Administrator

I was just reading a review of one unit. Apparently, it'll read inside temps just fine, but when the batteries start to get low it looses the outdoor temp. Worth a try.

&
Old 12-09-10, 12:34 PM   #7
Daox
Administrator

Also, while looking at them I found this one... I like! It can monitor indoor temp along with three other sensors an display them all at once. Its also solar powered and gets its time from the atomic clock. Nice package, but a little pricey as well as the wireless sensors being sold separately.

Amazon.com: Oregon Scientific RMR500ES Clima-Control Solar Powered Climate Monitor and Weather Forecaster with Mold Alert: Home & Garden

&
Old 12-09-10, 08:41 PM   #8
RobertSmalls
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
mine is an Acu-rite and has been working well for 2 years now, the remote on it has a wired temp sensor and a built in temp sensor, the wired sensor over rides the built in one when it's plugged in, it allows you to have the box with the battery in it placed inside if you want the battery to last longer, it also reads humidity both inside and outside.
paid about $25 for it and have never had a problem, I think the one my parents have is the same brand and is going on 5+ years? they have a whole bunch of cheaper indoor/out door thermometers as well for keeping tabs on garden produces stored in ice chests.
Proud owner of two wired Acu-Rites here. They're about two years old, and they've been used in all sorts of projects indoors and out. I paid $10/ea at the closeouts store.

RobertSmalls is offline   Reply With Quote