EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 09-25-14, 08:37 AM   #1
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Default 2015 - Higher Efficiency Water Heaters

Apparently, we have embarrassed Uncle Sam with our DIY energy improvements because...

U.S. Department of Energy is mandating higher efficiency standards on all water heaters manufactured on and after 2015.

As far as I can tell, the testing procedures are not defined yet, but here are some of the relevant info (SOURCE):

Quote:
Q: How will gas water heaters be affected?

A: Gas models may require additional insulation, incorporate newer flue baffling technologies (including flue dampers), incorporate electronic ignition in lieu of the standing pilot, or any combination of these. One likely impact will be an increase in the overall product size, especially in diameter. For gas-fired products, over 55 gallons (< 75,000 BTU/Hr.), fully condensing combustion technology will likely be required, based on currently available technologies that are capable of meeting the new requirements. This will also mean that line voltage will have to be available, as well as a means for condensate disposal.
Q: How will electric water heaters be affected?

A: Electric water heaters will likely require more insulation. This will increase the diameter and/or height of the water heater. Additional insulation may be required for piping and fittings such as drain and T&P valves. Electric water heaters over 55 gallons (< 12 kW input) will likely utilize integrated heat pumps to meet the new EF requirements, based on currently available technology.
Q: Will oil-fired water heaters be affected?

A: Similar challenges are faced with the oil-fired products. Much like gas products, oil-fired water heaters will likely require additional insulation and/or completely new combustion systems.
This may turn out be a little step in the right direction, but it is in the right direction.

I'd be interested to know what the EU standards are.

Best,

-AC

Old 09-25-14, 11:20 AM   #2
oil pan 4
Land owner

Sounds like it will make gas water heaters which are a little bit more expensive ($50 to $100) than electric heaters a lot more expensive than electrics.

Those hybrid things start at $1000. They seem like they would be good form some situations. If you don't install or operate them correctly then you just bought an electric that costs more than 3 times the cost of a regular electric heater.
oil pan 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-14, 12:14 PM   #3
NiHaoMike
Supreme EcoRenovator

Window A/Cs are commonly available for around $100. The main reason heat pump water heaters cost so much is because there's not much competition. Once they become more common, they should only cost $100 or so more than regular electric.
Daox (09-25-14)
Old 09-25-14, 01:28 PM   #4
Servicetech
Apprentice EcoRenovator

The gooberment is all worried about saving a few KWH on water heaters while allowing up to 20KW of STRIP HEAT to be used as a primary heat source for homes. Ban electric furnaces as a primary source of heat before worrying about a little more insulation on water heaters.
Servicetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-14, 05:27 PM   #5
Mikesolar
Master EcoRenovator

Do both....

Better yet, mandate a solar water heater then do the above, haha
Mikesolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-14, 05:42 PM   #6
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

wow.....don't hold your breath on that one to make much difference.
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-14, 05:57 PM   #7
Mikesolar
Master EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff5may View Post
wow.....don't hold your breath on that one to make much difference.
Nope, not holding my breath. It would be good tho...
Old 09-25-14, 11:28 PM   #8
gtojohn
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Where I live straight electric furnaces aren't allowed by code in permited work. Most jurisdictions that use somewhat modern codes should require heat pumps. I even recommend heat pump hybrids for people using propane for heat. It wasn't that long ago when the minimum allowable a/c efficiency was 10 seer, at least now its 13, thank you DOE! That 13 minimum helps make a good price point for 14.5 seer. As far as hot water heating, I think they might save more with built in self learning timersr. It seems a lot of designs incorporate the water heater in the attic, great for heating, pita for replacement and water leaks. Making a gas water heater 90% or higher efficiency might save a fraction of small amount of gas usage and I don't see any potential paypack or return of investment within the decade lifespan of such heater
gtojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-14, 12:23 AM   #9
SDMCF
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtojohn View Post
It seems a lot of designs incorporate the water heater in the attic, great for heating ...
I don't follow that, but maybe it is climate-dependent. Here, in winter, my attic could be over 50C colder than my house, so putting the water heater there would be crazy.
SDMCF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SDMCF For This Useful Post:
Servicetech (09-26-14)
Old 09-26-14, 05:09 AM   #10
Mikesolar
Master EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtojohn View Post
Where I live straight electric furnaces aren't allowed by code in permited work. Most jurisdictions that use somewhat modern codes should require heat pumps. I even recommend heat pump hybrids for people using propane for heat. It wasn't that long ago when the minimum allowable a/c efficiency was 10 seer, at least now its 13, thank you DOE! That 13 minimum helps make a good price point for 14.5 seer. As far as hot water heating, I think they might save more with built in self learning timersr. It seems a lot of designs incorporate the water heater in the attic, great for heating, pita for replacement and water leaks. Making a gas water heater 90% or higher efficiency might save a fraction of small amount of gas usage and I don't see any potential paypack or return of investment within the decade lifespan of such heater
The cost of a 90% + water heater doesn't make sense unless you can couple it with an air handler or floor heat and do the space heating. It must be used for more than just water heating and with lower heat load buildings it will be a good system.

I suspect that the min 13 seer AC will be replaced with a 15+ seer soon.