EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Renovations & New Construction
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-12, 08:58 AM   #31
Daox
Administrator

Its not too hard to tell when an area has been dense packed. Visual feedback is nice, but not absolutely necessary.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-12, 11:13 AM   #32
rhizomatic
Helper EcoRenovator

Default UPDATE: wall insulation & "storm" windows with pics

I finally found an insulation contractor with the right equipment, methods, and experience, using what I learned through ecorenovator, Angie's List, and informed direct questions. I now have dense packed R-15 dry cellulose in my very narrow 1948 beach cottage walls and the place is significantly warmer. Thanks!

I did more air sealing around my ducting and the perimeter of the foundation too.

Finally, here are pics of the storm windows I promised Daox (sorry it has been so long, I didn't have the proper USB cable for my phone). These pics don't really show you but unfortunately my limited experience showed itself again, as both windows are too small for the application. I mis-measured for the mitered corners but using cut foam insulation to fill the gaps, I was able to fit them snugly enough to stop the air infiltration through the old jalousie windows. Eventually I will replace the jalousie windows and repurpose these storm-windows, probably as picture frames. Live and learn. For now they make the living room more comfortable and look just okay.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dec 24 2012 153.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	2789   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dec 24 2012 152.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	271.3 KB
ID:	2790  
rhizomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-12, 02:20 PM   #33
Exeric
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Hi Rhizomatic,
It sounds like you're making good progress compared to me. I wish mine was moving as fast. I'm still building my interior 2x2 wall and finishing up electrical work. All the rooms are uninsulated and open to the cold except my bedroom, in which I'm holed up. A fairly miserable existence right now. I try to take comfort that I have a fairly ambitious plan going and that it will be very nice once its done. But if I had a family living here now they would all be filing divorce papers, including the dog.

You have me a little worried about finding or renting a good cellulose dense packer. I don't even have Angie's list for my area as it's in the boondocks. I plan on putting up netting stapled to the inner wall (once its finished) so I can see how its packing.
Exeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-12, 11:11 PM   #34
rhizomatic
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exeric View Post
Hi Rhizomatic,
It sounds like you're making good progress compared to me. I wish mine was moving as fast. I'm still building my interior 2x2 wall and finishing up electrical work. All the rooms are uninsulated and open to the cold except my bedroom, in which I'm holed up. A fairly miserable existence right now. I try to take comfort that I have a fairly ambitious plan going and that it will be very nice once its done. But if I had a family living here now they would all be filing divorce papers, including the dog.

You have me a little worried about finding or renting a good cellulose dense packer. I don't even have Angie's list for my area as it's in the boondocks. I plan on putting up netting stapled to the inner wall (once its finished) so I can see how its packing.
I feel like I'm moving at a snail's pace, actually. But thanks. Sounds like you are hunkered down for the season. It'll pay off to put your "sweat equity" ("chill equity"?) into the project. I have multiple inlaws who did what you are doing. All three have great houses now. When we're chilly in this house without heat (yet) we remind ourselves of that family tradition. Hang in there! And Merry Christmas!
Old 01-08-13, 09:16 AM   #35
Daox
Administrator

It almost always seems like things go at a snail's pace unless you're at it continuously. I've had my house for over four years now and it seems like I haven't gotten a ton done. However, when I look at all my energy usage data, its actually fairly impressive. I've been able to decrease my energy usage by half. I'm sure many others including yourself can or are achieving this.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	power.jpg
Views:	901
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	2824  

&
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-13, 09:08 AM   #36
rhizomatic
Helper EcoRenovator

Default Energy use update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
It almost always seems like things go at a snail's pace unless you're at it continuously. I've had my house for over four years now and it seems like I haven't gotten a ton done. However, when I look at all my energy usage data, its actually fairly impressive. I've been able to decrease my energy usage by half. I'm sure many others including yourself can or are achieving this.
My January electric bill confirms this, Daox, I think. We paid about $52 less this January than last. What changed in the interim? I did more air sealing, which was REALLY bad in this old, ill-maintained house. I insulated significantly (though nothing in the worst area, the roof, which will need a new roof before real insulation will be possible). And since we don't have a central heat system while we save to install an ASHP, we used a single electric space-heater last winter, moved from room to room. This winter I had two more Vornado heaters, one with a setting as low at 375watts. I put the two stationary heaters on flea-market purchased timers and move around only the 375watt Vornado. And, I switched-out more lightbulbs for CFL and LED, reducing lighting demand by about 600watts. The three fixtures I had to install LEDs into were among the most heavily used and power-consuming lamps in the house. Refridge is on a timer (off most of the night). Wireless router on a timer (off all night). Coffeepot gets shut off after brewing and coffee put in a thermos. Moved microwave into the attached garage, where it gets less use.

The costs of the timers and especially the LED bulbs outpace the one-month savings but I want to go to an ASHP and solar electricity in the next two years, so air-sealing, insulation, and electricity-use reduction seemed the best first steps--as I learned here (thanks).