EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Renovations & New Construction
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-10, 10:40 AM   #1
osolemio
Hong Kong

Talking Massive energy/water renovation of 30 year old house

Welcome to me here on EcoRenovator

I am in Copenhagen, Denmark, in the process of renovating a house for making it as independent of external energy and water as possible. I am here to seek information, as well as share what I learn about my installation here in these forums.

There is a lot of ideology in my project. Don't ask me about payback time, OK? There is more than just saving money to this, as I will also make the house more comfortable and luxurious, as well as expanding it with one extra room. Besides, it is great fun to do this - I might as well have been playing with model trains, instead I "play" with this system.

Here are a few keywords to say what my system is all about:

Solar water heating (18 kW peak water/space heating)
- Hot water buffer (275 USG) with instant hot water instead of traditional hot water tank
- 185F hot water station for cooking, coffee and so on, bypass limiter (130F)
Solar space heating
- including annual geo heating via tubes "shot" under the house, for long term heat storage
- 850 USG external hot water storage with 8 inch insulation
Solar voltaics (3.6 kW peak)
- grid connected, meter runs backwards when my production is higher than use
- 1 kWh here is around 40 us cent, and I get 1:1 price up to what I use
Drain water recovery from first floor (bathroom)
Rain water recovery (850 USG) for toilet flushing, washing machine, irrigation/garden

I am using an Austrian box to control all the heating side of it ( ta.co-at/en ), Danfoss inverter, solarus-com hybrid heating/PV panel ... and lots of other smaller and larger contraptions

I hope to find answers here to specific questions I have, as well as sharing my own experiences in this project

Last edited by osolemio; 05-20-10 at 10:42 AM.. Reason: Typos
osolemio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-10, 10:44 AM   #2
Daox
Administrator

Welcome to ER osolemio!

That is quite the project you have there. I'm very eager to hear about how it goes!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-10, 10:46 AM   #3
osolemio
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
Welcome to ER osolemio!

That is quite the project you have there. I'm very eager to hear about how it goes!
Thanks, Daox, that was quick, I am not even done correcting my own typos

Right now I am designing the major heating circuit for the solar grid and external tanks. It is not final yet, but I could upload a .PNG here, and possibly get suggestions ...
Old 05-20-10, 11:04 AM   #4
osolemio
Hong Kong

Default Schematic

The part of my project which deals with distributing heat within the system is still under development, the current simplified schematic can be seen in this attachment

EDIT: I guess it was reduced in size, I hope it is possible to see what it depicts ...

Have a look here to see the details:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Solar Circuit May 20st 2010.jpg
Views:	720
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	740  

Last edited by Piwoslaw; 04-14-11 at 02:48 AM.. Reason: Resizing
osolemio is offline   Reply With Quote