EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Power
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-15, 01:34 PM   #61
SDMCF
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
Solar panels will produce some power with over cast
Thanks for your comments.
I have no experience of PV so I am basing my expectation on my experience with evacuated tubes for water/space heating. I have 100 tubes which produce about 7000 kWh per year but produce virtually nothing from mid/late October to early/mid January. November production might be below 5% of what I get in March for example. Should I expect PV to be similarly useless at that time of year or will PV produce something worthwhile despite these overcast conditions?

SDMCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-15, 03:41 PM   #62
Robaroni
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDMCF View Post
Thanks for your comments.
I have no experience of PV so I am basing my expectation on my experience with evacuated tubes for water/space heating. I have 100 tubes which produce about 7000 kWh per year but produce virtually nothing from mid/late October to early/mid January. November production might be below 5% of what I get in March for example. Should I expect PV to be similarly useless at that time of year or will PV produce something worthwhile despite these overcast conditions?
SDMCF,
Maybe you can get an idea from my several year graph. The winter months here can be tough, last Feb., for instance, was a wash because these modules were covered with a foot or more of snow the whole month and part of Jan. and March too. (My intertie/off grid modules, mounted on poles that I could clean did much better. That 4.2Kw array doesn't show up on this graph. This is only my strictly intertie output.) This graph is a 6.44Kw system, mounted east/west but even with this arrangement I still get results.
This is a dark place but I still do very well and would expect you will also.

Rob

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	340
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	6357  
Robaroni is offline   Reply With Quote