EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 01-19-10, 10:41 AM   #11
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

My house does not have a full size basement so I don't have a whole lot of room for a water tank, if I do go with rain water catchment for indoor use I think I would go with the rain water going to hot water as we do not drink our hot tap water (electric tea pot), our water heater would last longer with soft rain water, people like to wash with soft water, it just seems like hot soft water would be the way to go.
As I update and do repairs in my house I am replacing the plumbing with PEX, so if I did want to add a rain water tank and want it to just go to the toilet I can connect the toilet PEX line to the rain water tank, but that is not near the top of my to do list yet.
The big thing holding me back on catching rain water is that right now it is 13F outside... we have almost 6 months that we can not catch rain water due to freezing temps, my toilet is a duel flush 1 or 1.6 gallon toilet, at even a gallon per flush is being flushed 6-10 times per day if not more, so lets say it's 10 gallons per day would come out to 1,800 gallons for the 6 months of sub freezing weather to flush the toilet.

Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-10, 03:19 AM   #12
Piwoslaw
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
My house does not have a full size basement so I don't have a whole lot of room for a water tank
Wound an underground tank be too expensive? I don't know how cheap you could get the tank itself, but I know that earthwork costs $$$, but if you were already planning a large garden project, then a tank could be buried at the same time. Just a thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
The big thing holding me back on catching rain water is that right now it is 13F outside... we have almost 6 months that we can not catch rain water due to freezing temps, my toilet is a duel flush 1 or 1.6 gallon toilet, at even a gallon per flush is being flushed 6-10 times per day if not more, so lets say it's 10 gallons per day would come out to 1,800 gallons for the 6 months of sub freezing weather to flush the toilet.
You could always switch to normal water whenever the rainwater tank dries up. Also, during the winter there are a few warmer days when the tank would fill with water from snow melting on the roof.

Piwoslaw is offline   Reply With Quote