EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Lawn and Garden
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-09, 10:26 PM   #1
bennelson
Home-Wrecker

Default Anti-pesticide lawn signs

One thing that always makes me cringe when I see it is the invasion of little yellow flags on people's lawns warning to keep off the grass due to pesticide applications.

The small yellow flags usually have a symbol of children playing, and the universal "don't do this" of a circle and crossbar.

Hmmmm. I don't know about you, but I thought lawns were for playing on!

To make it even worse, I live within eyeshot of a lake. It seems that as you get closer to the lake, property values go up, and so does the likelihood of the homeowner to use a lawn service, complete with pesticide application. That means the places closest to the lake, are also the ones most likely to pollute it!

Meanwhile, I have a few more weeds on my lawn (or bio-diversity as I like to call it) and I always leave the lawn a bit longer, so it's root system can stay long and healthy and survive droughts better. (Houses closest to the lake seem to water their lawns more as well!)

I propose that we come up with some sort of a sign indicating that our lawns are INTENTIONALLY all-natural, drought-resistant, & pesticide-free. This could be a bit of a parody of those "keep off the grass" signs. Instead, the logo might show happy children and animals on a lawn, or simply indicate that "THIS IS A PESTICIDE-FREE YARD"

I imagine this sign being just a bit larger than the "keep off the grass" ones so that it is easily readable by walkers and cyclists. It would also be made from durable, recycled/recyclable outdoor materials.

Does anyone agree with this whole concept? What would you imagine to point out an "eco-friendly" yard vs the typical chemical lawn?

I could see this as having the potential to become a national campaign. We all have to start somewhere. Why not at home?

-Ben Nelson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bennelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-09, 07:34 AM   #2
Daox
Administrator

Haha, I like that idea. It is such a pain when I'm walking my dog to try to keep her off specific grassed area... Half of the time I don't even see the flags until she has been walking on it for a while. Its just ridiculous.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-09, 05:22 PM   #3
Higgy
The Gardener

That's awesome Ben...I like it.
Higgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-09, 02:23 PM   #4
TimJFowler
Apprentice EcoRenovator

It looks like there are already a couple of pesticide-free lawn campaigns going. Check out PesticideFreeYards.org in Canada and Pesticide Free Lawns Coalition in the US. The second link even has yard signs you can order online.

FWIW,
Tim

Last edited by TimJFowler; 07-01-09 at 02:26 PM..
TimJFowler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grass, lawn, pesticides