EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 05-02-12, 11:03 AM   #1
cholcombe
Helper EcoRenovator

Default Heat pump water heater install

Is anyone familiar with how hard it is to install a heat pump water heater? I'm looking into installing the AO smith voltex heat pump heater. I just had a plumber here who knows how to install it and said he wanted $1500 to install it. My jaw dropped. Is there that much work involved with these things?

cholcombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-12, 11:34 AM   #2
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

Depends on what sort of electrical connection it needs. If it needs a 240v connection like most electric water heaters and I assume this one does since it likely has a backup resistance element like the rest, you'll need electric run to it. If you already have the correct electric voltage and amperage going to your current water heater, assuming it is electric, I don't see what would be so tough about it. Usually skilled tradesman will charge an arm and a leg to do something they have never done before to try to get you to either go somewhere else or to make you pay for the struggle that might come of installing something that they thing will be hard and involve extra time because they are learning.

Take a look at the installation manual online and take a guess at how long it would take. If you need someone else to install it for you, search for a different company. If it costs a fortune to buy it and a fortune to install, it isn't worth getting.
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-12, 12:02 PM   #3
Daox
Administrator

There are a few people here who have them. Hopefully they'll chime in.

I honestly can't see it being real hard if you've done any electrical work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Daox; 05-02-12 at 12:08 PM..
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-12, 12:32 PM   #4
cholcombe
Helper EcoRenovator

Yeah I don't think it'll be bad at all. I agree he probably doesn't want to do it and quoted me a crazy price. I was figuring in my head $500 max. I had a HVAC guy help me install my mini split for that much. And that was a heck of a lot more work! I already have an electric water heater that I'm assuming has 240V single phase going to it. I'll have to double check. It says in the manual be careful not to use 208. What's the difference? I thought 2 110V lines gives you 220~240?
Old 05-02-12, 12:50 PM   #5
Daox
Administrator

208V is basically three phase 120V power. Apparently its used in more commercial applications.

How does 208V differ from 220V

&
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-12, 01:20 PM   #6
cholcombe
Helper EcoRenovator

Thanks Daox! I'm willing to bet I have 220V single phase then. I see 2 20A breakers tied together with a bar across them. The plumber looked at it for 2 seconds and said it was 120V. I said huh? Figured I'd ask here because I think this guy was messing with me.
Old 05-02-12, 02:47 PM   #7
S-F
You Ain't Me

That's 220 2 phase. The breakers are right next to each other so each one gets power from a different bus. Isn't 220 single phase in Europe and the like? Otherwise the only work is muscling it in and connecting it, which could be some work with the torch if it doesn't plumb up the exact same way and it probably doesn't. Still $1500 does sound steep, even if new wiring is called for.

And 2 x 20A breakers is a 40A line and the cable is sized for 40A. Does the heater draw more than 40A?

Chipping away on a daily basis.

Quote:
You know you're an ecorenovator if anything worth insulating is worth superinsulating.
Quote:
S-F: "What happens when you slam the door on a really tight house? Do the basement windows blow out?"

Green Building Guru: "You can't slam the door on a really tight house. You have to work to pull it shut."

Last edited by S-F; 05-02-12 at 02:50 PM..
S-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-12, 04:04 PM   #8
strider3700
Master EcoRenovator

I'd assume you also need a condensation drain of some sort with the heatpump since my air heating unit has one. beyond that I can't imagine it's any more work then a standard electric hotwater heater if you already have one. It's easy. If it doesn't turn out to be the same definitely document the process with pictures and put up a post here for us to learn.
strider3700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-12, 04:12 PM   #9
S-F
You Ain't Me

I got a condensate pump last summer for my dehumidifier (which is slated for the scrap yard in favor of air conditioning) and it cost about $50 on Amazon. Drill a hole in the wall or drain it into a sink or something. So I guess we can add 50 - 100 $ to the cost of wrestling an old DHW heater out and the new one in plus pipe fitting. There might also be a fee for disposal of the old unit too.

Chipping away on a daily basis.

Quote:
You know you're an ecorenovator if anything worth insulating is worth superinsulating.
Quote:
S-F: "What happens when you slam the door on a really tight house? Do the basement windows blow out?"

Green Building Guru: "You can't slam the door on a really tight house. You have to work to pull it shut."
S-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-12, 12:14 AM   #10
strider3700
Master EcoRenovator

Yeah my heatpump uses a condensate pump pumping to outside as well. They work just fine although they are a strange sound that I only notice after the heatpump turns off. I rarely use the AC though so that may be why it's suddenly weird sounding.

strider3700 is offline   Reply With Quote