Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 02-21-14, 02:00 PM   #11
Boris romanov
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_Hacker View Post
...what's the big deal? Xringer has been doing the same thing in his basement in Massachusetts for at least a year...
He has largly de-comissioned his huge oil burning furnace, which he call "The Tarm" ...
AC_Hacker,

Looks like you forgot the title of this thread, therefore your comparison is incorrect in general.

In addition, in Xringer's basement there is the big heat "influencer/influater".

Finally, my achievement is reflected in my electric bills. And for this heating season I did not receive any bills for the heating oil - as I stated earlier I already demolished my oil-fired boiler...

So, I would like to see Xringer's utility bills first and shortly after that I will answer to the rest of your questions. Otherwise any comparisons in this very specific forum (EcoRenovaitor) without comparisons of money spendings are useless.

Boris Romanov

Last edited by Boris romanov; 02-21-14 at 03:31 PM..
Boris romanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-14, 03:53 PM   #12
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may
Default Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris romanov View Post
Your question was predictable to me.

Now is Olympic Games Time, therefore for this thread I used word HIGH in terms of pedestal of honor - the First place is the highest place. So, I am really proud of my achievement.

And as you can see here (https://sites.google.com/site/modernwaterboilers/) the original title of my web page is "Reliable Hybrid Water Boiler with an excellent Cost-Efficiency Ratio".

Boris Romanov
I can't help myself but ask: are you one of those "FREE ENERGY OVER UNITY ELECTRIC POWER MACHINE" salesmen? Because your thread reads as if you are.

This install is ok. The unit you chose is ok. But it has all been done before, much better by some. I applaud you for your efforts, but the system is run of the mill in nature.

In a way, this is like bolt-on honda performance parts. A kid walks into Autozone and asks the counter guy how he can add 50 horsepower to his hand-me-down Civic. He walks out with a bolt-on exhaust, with a fart can muffler, a cold-air intake kit, and a super-power chip for his engine computer. His wallet is $990 lighter, but he got $150 worth of mail-in rebates. In comparison, you walked into Home Despot and got water heater stuff.

WOW.

I'm surprised you didn't buy heat-absorbing paint for your floor. It would've tied the room together.

Last edited by jeff5may; 02-21-14 at 03:59 PM.. Reason: words
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-14, 03:58 PM   #13
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Firstly, your comparison is incorrect in general. In Xringer's basement there is the big heat "influencer/influater".
You'll have to clarify that one...

He had a setup somewhat like yours, in a climatically similar part of the country.

He had a big oil burning hydronic boiler which had provided his heat for many years, and finally the price of oil drove him to seek other heating options for his house. He went with an Air Source Heat Pump, which worked well, then he added a second ASHP and he is still cheaper than oil.

But he was using the oil unit to heat his water. Then he went with a heat pump water heater that was not unlike yours.

And he, like you, thought that there would be a sustaining and inexhaustible flow of heat into his basement from the ground. He even went so far as to consider that radioactive decay was the source of heat for his basement.

I guessed that there had been an outflow of heat from his oil burning furnace into the ground and that eventually, with the oil burner being gone and the air source water heater using the heat energy in the basement, that he would see a long-term temperature decline that would eventually level out. But it is not as cold in his basement as it is outside, but it has become colder than it was when his oil furnace was his boiler.

So what I'm saying Boris, is that I am happy for you that you are saving money. But I also think that there will be a gradual temperature decline in your basement.

You could easily prove me wrong by recording yearly temperatures for about ten years.

Quote:
Secondly, my achievement is reflected in my electric bills. And for this heating season I did not receive any bills for the heating oil...
Good for you and good for your lower bills. I hope your efficiency continues exactly as it is forever. But I am afraid that I have to tell you that your basement will slowly cool down and that your efficiency will decline to some extent, but there will be a point where your efficiency will level out, and that will be at a lower level than it is now.

Quote:
...as I stated earlier I already demolished my oil-fired boiler...
You did the right thing! If I had a trophy to mail to you, I would do it.

But I don't have a trophy to send, so this picture of a trophy will have to do:

Quote:
So, I would like to see Xringer's utility bills first...
I think that the size of your basement is actually more important than the size of Xringer's bills.

And don't forget, that unless your basement is well-insulated from the heated envelope of your house, you have downward heat leakage (yes, heat goes down, too) that will be used by your water heater, thus cooling the basement, and pulling more heat from upstairs, etc.

Best,

-AC
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Boris.gif
Views:	596
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	4069  

Last edited by AC_Hacker; 02-21-14 at 04:02 PM..
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-14, 03:22 PM   #14
Boris romanov
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff5may View Post
... I applaud you for your efforts, but the system is run of the mill in nature...
This video is for sceptics - excellent performances EVEN during extremely cold days:

Detailed data, related to this video:
https://sites.google.com/site/modern...e/test-results

Boris Romanov
Old 02-22-14, 04:32 PM   #15
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

1 hour- seriously?
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-14, 04:41 PM   #16
Boris romanov
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff5may View Post
1 hour- seriously?
Nonsense - see table...
Looks like you do not have similar data even for one hour!

Interesting findings are posted here: http://aceee.org/files/pdf/conferenc...3/4C-zandt.pdf

Barriers to Efficient Water Heater Adoption

Consumers :
- Emergency replacement
- Lack of education
- Differential cost

Plumbers :
- Negative impression of the technology
- Lack of education ..."

Were you involved in these studies?

Last edited by Boris romanov; 02-22-14 at 05:19 PM..

Tags
hybrid water boiler