EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Off Topic > The Billiards Room
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-11, 01:06 PM   #41
strider3700
Master EcoRenovator

feb 4th I went shopping for materials to trim out the craft room window.

Feb 5th I built installed the window casings and designed and built a much larger sill that will hold me seedling trays. The previous design was some 2x4's stacked up to hold up half of the tray since the sillwas only 4" deep.

Feb 6th I did some coding on the data logger. Nothing serious but it is cleaned up a bit more.

Feb 7th -11th I got up at 5:00 went to the gym at 6 then to the temporary fulltime day job and then a few hours with my family then a couple of hours of my business work each evening. I did manage to buy seeds on the way home one day.

Feb 12th - I put the last bit of trim up around the craft room window gave it a quick sand then declared it ready for caulking and paint. Later that night my 2 year old and I filled some seed trays with soil then planted onions and leeks. about 30% of my seed trays are now full. The rest will hold tomatoes, peppers and herbs at the least. I'm not sure if I want to start lettuce inside or not.

Feb 13th - after watching 5 or 6 birds "fighting" over the one birdhouse by the carport I've been ordered to build a bird condo for a bunch more. So today will be researching that and getting materials if not the entire thing done. I should have everything except for the post I want to sink it on. I'm trying to work out an easy design that will let me stick one of my honeybee bait hives on top of it as well.
<edit> The bird house is done. 6 boxes and it fits under the bait hive. Some paint and me buying a 4x4 to put it on and it's ready to go. I also spent a few minutes putting pipe insulation on the exposed hot and cold runs in the basement. unfortunately the part closest to the tank is hidden by the roof and I can't get at it until the tank is replaced and relocated. 63 feet of insulation cost me $7 so I figured I might as well just do it </edit>

Last edited by strider3700; 02-13-11 at 11:05 PM..
strider3700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-11, 02:14 PM   #42
strider3700
Master EcoRenovator

Feb 19th - another week spent working two jobs. The getting up at 5:15 to go to the gym thing has changed my internal clock. I slept in till 6:00 this morning....

I did get up and sign up for a powersmart challenge put on by our local electric company. If we reduce our usage by 10% compared to last year (adjusted for temperature) they'll give me $75. THats about which is about 1160 kwh. I'll also save $86 so $160 for pushing my hobbies a little further. I wish I had signed up before the last bill though. December January is our highest use period and I managed to drop it by 600 kwh from the previous year and it was even colder using HDD to compare the two. That would have made the rest of the challenge pretty easy to accomplish. INstead I've got this heating period of relatively high usage and then mostly just summer where the total usage is only 1300 kwh every two months to lower usage.

For comparisons based on house size, all electric, number of people in my area the utility tells me the average house uses 18600 kwh/year I used 11700 last year. I've got a ways to go but the trivial obvious changes are already done.

I then got dressed and went to the local nursery and picked up my order of mason bees. I got them for christmas from my brother who won them at an auction with a small wooden house. I'll have to put them in their tubes and hang the house up soon.

After that was done my daughter and I went in the back yard and I planted a 10' 4x4 post in the ground then put last weeks bird house on in with the bait hive on top. Paint never happened so it isn't the prettiest thing I've ever put up.

Finished the day out by pruning the peach tree and tying it back into shape since I'm trying to train it against a wall.

Last edited by strider3700; 02-20-11 at 10:49 AM..
strider3700 is offline   Reply With Quote