EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Lighting
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-10-13, 11:10 PM   #1
where2
DIY Geek

Default Gutted Halogen = Retrofit LED fixture Franken-lamp is born.

We've all seen them: Those white or black floor standing halogen lamps that were all the rage 10+ years ago. You know the ones... They typically used a 300W bulb, and doubled as a mini-space heater.

Well, after several months of looking at mine running almost every night when my wife sat on the couch to read, I began to wonder what I could do to produce light more efficiently and at lower expense. Your local bright orange big box hardware store has recently started selling a Cree 60W equivalent (800 lumen) LED bulb that draws just 9W when running. They look almost exactly like a normal incandesent bulb, except in price. They come in both Warm White, and Daylight varieties. I pondered that for a few days and came up with a DIY renovation to the old halogen lamp. I bought two edison lamp bases, two 60W equivalent "warm white" LED bulbs, and proceeded to spend an evening making a frankenstein lamp of sorts. I took out the halogen bulb base, wired up the two edison sockets to the dimmer rheostat, and bent the steel edison socket holders to utilize two existing screw holes which I was able to enlarge slightly with a drill bit.

The end result: the two bulbs nestle nicely in the bowl of the lamp shade. The dimmer rheostat seems to work well to dim the two LED bulbs (yes, they are rated as dimmable LED bulbs). Best of all, I can run the franken-lamp on anywhere from 0.5W to 19W using the dimmer. So, the franken-lamp can run at 1600 lumens (full bright) for 15.8 hours, for what it used to cost to run the halogen bulb full bright for an hour!

I briefly considered simply adding to the scrap metal heap, and replacing my old lamp with a new lamp manufactured with edison bases, but the cost of a new floor standing lamp was simply outrageous (>$40), even in the usual "affordable" stores.

For those who care, I did try plugging franken-lamp into a modified sine wave inverter, and it seems to light just fine.

where2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to where2 For This Useful Post:
JayRowe (12-06-14)