EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Lawn and Garden
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-10, 12:12 PM   #221
Daox
Administrator

After finishing the frames for my interior storm windows this weekend I decided now would probably be a good time to get the mower ready for winter.

A while back I picked up a snow blower attachment for the mower. I'm quite excited to see how well it works.

So, yesterday I grabbed the mower and removed the mowing deck. The blower uses the same attachment points. Its very easy to do, just a couple pins hold everything in place.

Then, I attached the blower. As you can see I did run into trouble with the double wide battery rack on the front. The lever to rotate the exhaust chute goes right where the battery is supposed to be. Also, when I try to lift the blower up, the arm that that lever mounts to hits the battery rack.

So, some work is going to need to be done to the battery racks again. This is the proposed battery position. I had thought about doing this before as I didn't like the double wide battery up front. It obstructed the view a bit while mowing and did king of look odd.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-10, 12:16 PM   #222
MetroMPG
Infrequent noob

Looks like function over form is coming to the EcoRider :P

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-10, 07:50 AM   #223
Daox
Administrator

Its always been function over form. Form can come later once everything is working properly.

&
Old 12-07-10, 06:07 AM   #224
Daox
Administrator

I worked on the mower a bit over the weekend. I thought I took some pictures, but apparently I did not. I'll get some soon.

Anyway, I reworked the front battery rack so it now only holds a single battery again. I also figured out how I want to make the rack that'll go right over the motor. It will be a separate piece that bolts to the front rack in the front and frame in the back. This will allow removal of the rack to get at the motor without having to remove both batteries/racks. Unfortunately, I did not have enough angle iron of the right size to make it.

&
Old 01-06-11, 02:25 PM   #225
Daox
Administrator

I finished the rack up this past week. It looks horrible, but it'll work. I'll get pics soon.

I have been incredibly unmotivated by the cold dreary weather. A heated garage would do wonders for that... Still working on that too though.

&
Old 01-06-11, 05:06 PM   #226
Daox
Administrator

And... pictures!

First, I added mounting points to the front battery rack.

Then, I made the other rack above the battery.

This is how it now looks.

&
Old 01-07-11, 12:22 PM   #227
gasstingy
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Nice job on the reworked battery rack. I think it's more of an original equipment looking job this way.
gasstingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-11, 12:47 PM   #228
Daox
Administrator

Yeah, it is much nicer like this. I didn't like having the two side by side up front. It was a bit hard to see the edge of the grass line while cutting, especially while making a right turn. I would have preferred to do the batteries this way to begin with, however, when I remade the rack last time I had my series wound Baldor motor and it was much taller and I wouldn't have had room above it like I do with the Mars motor.

I do eventually plan on trying to get the cover and front grill back on to make it more mower looking. But, thats after I get everything cleaned up, wiring all neat, chargers properly mounted, etc.

&
Old 01-09-11, 07:52 PM   #229
nibs
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Good on you Daox, I have picked up a couple of motors and slider speed controllers from some defunct golf carts, the prices were right, & when we get back in the spring, will try to follow in your footprints with my two little tractors. Hope I can do as well as you.
nibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-11, 11:18 PM   #230
Ewok
Lurking Renovator

Awesome project. What sort of current does the 48 volt motor draw? I am looking to convert my Viking ride on, I have been given a 48V motor from an old forklift, I just have to remove it! comes with a hugh 48V charger as well, I haven't checked them but I assume the batteries are probably Stuffed and the cost of 4 new battieries is putting me off a little (one disadvantage from living at the bottom of the world).
I am mowing about 3/4 of an acre, and dont mind doing it in a couple of goes.

Ewok is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, electric, lawn mower, tractor