EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Appliances & Gadgets
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-13, 09:00 AM   #41
Higgy
The Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimac View Post
My initial post was tongue in cheek-apparently I didn't make that clear.
I caught your jib and laughed out loud when I read it. Thanks for the laugh man.

Higgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-13, 07:41 PM   #42
BrianAbington
Lurking Renovator

Washing dishes in the same tub of water seems really unsanitary to me.

Dish washer can do it for you at a much higher temp than you can bear to keep your hands in.

If your dishwasher is about as old as you are then yes you probably can do them by hand more efficiently.

Even better are the dual drawer dish washers for those of us who don't have a family of 4.
BrianAbington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-13, 08:11 PM   #43
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

I rinse my dishes after use / before i drop them to wait in the sink for a few companions to arrive.
I believe that people with dishwashers rinse their dirty dishes as well, before plopping the dish to wait in the dishwasher.

So we are at a tie so far

I add my hot water, but not enough to cause discomfort.
The dishwasher uses extra hot water, to aid in its washing sanitizing ability.

The tie is over now, the dishwasher super heats the water at a electrically usage costs that i the hand dishwasher do not have.

The costs to wash the dish with the water:

I use about 2 gallons of hot water per wash , think a dishwasher uses less? the dishwasher uses electricity to spin the water around in the dishwasher.
I the hand dishwasher do not use any electricity doing the washing.

Now time to dry the dishes, The dishwasher consumes energy I the dishwasher consume no energy, as i leave them in the dry rack to dry.

I believe the only one who would promote the dish washer as more energy efficient would be someone selling the dishwashers or hoping to sell a dishwasher or somebody who was lied to by a dishwasher salesman or advertisement.

What would be more energy efficient riding a bicycle with a gas motor or pedaling your bike ? its a no brainier.
ecomodded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-13, 08:12 PM   #44
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
According to "The Home Energy Diet" by Paul Scheckel, which I'm currently reading, there was a study done at a German university on this. They had volunteers wash 12 place settings and also had a dishwasher do the same. The results were:

.VolunteerDishwasher
Water usage27 gallons4 gallons
Water Heating2.5 kWh1.5 kWh

I found this pretty interesting. I didn't think hand washing was THAT much less efficient. It also states that "about the dishes were were judged to be 'really dirty' or at least not acceptable to be placed on a dinner table, while the machine dishwashers offered consistently cleaner dishes".
27 gallons sounds mighty suspicious to me, i would discount this test as propaganda.
Old 02-11-13, 02:03 AM   #45
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

"27 gallons sounds mighty suspicious to me, i would discount this test as propaganda."
I wouldn't discount it, you'd be amazed how much water people use rinsing dishes.

"I believe that people with dishwashers rinse their dirty dishes as well, before plopping the dish to wait in the dishwasher."
I don't rinse my dishes before putting them in, I scrape the bulk of it off into the trash and put it in the dishwasher. So you aren't at a tie, you are likely using more since you rinse your dishes after you use them.

My dish washer uses under 6 gallons of water on its highest water usage cycle, including the water I use to initially get the hot water up to the dishwasher. 2kwh for washing, heating the water, and drying the dishes with the highest energy cycle. New energy star dishwashers use even less.
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-13, 05:26 PM   #46
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

If anybody is using that much water to wash dishes they are extremely grossly wasteful.
I am not a fan of electric dishwasher, but i do like electric cloths washers..
Each to his own I suppose.

Last edited by ecomodded; 02-11-13 at 08:05 PM..
Old 02-18-13, 12:07 AM   #47
SolarUtah
Cheap Renovator

Good to hear that hand washing is so wasteful. I hate to do dishes! In fact, as a kid when we went camping, our dog was the chief dishcleaner. Dishes were always spotless after his careful attention to detail! He was frequently loaned out to other campers for his ability to clean plates.

Joking aside, if you are careful not to use the heat dry on the dishwasher, the dishwasher does not use much power. We also have solar hot water heater that helps in the summer.

Last edited by SolarUtah; 02-18-13 at 12:21 AM..
SolarUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-13, 07:09 AM   #48
scottharrison
Lurking Renovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
According to "The Home Energy Diet" by Paul Scheckel, which I'm currently reading, there was a study done at a German university on this. They had volunteers wash 12 place settings and also had a dishwasher do the same. The results were:

.VolunteerDishwasher
Water usage27 gallons4 gallons
Water Heating2.5 kWh1.5 kWh

I found this pretty interesting. I didn't think hand washing was THAT much less efficient. It also states that "about the dishes were were judged to be 'really dirty' or at least not acceptable to be placed on a dinner table, while the machine dishwashers offered consistently cleaner dishes".
Nowadays, running water, gas, or electricity even the most simplified hand-laundry used staggering amounts of time and labor. Sorry for my ignorance, but I would just wanted to clarify this thing up, what is the difference between high efficient washing machine and washing machines we use at home?
scottharrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-13, 10:44 AM   #49
WisJim
Helper EcoRenovator

I have actually measured the amount of water I use to wash the dishes for a day in our house, a number of times over the years. I use a smaller dishpan in the sink basin and rinse in a small center compartment, and to measure the water used I dumped it all in a 5 gallon pail when done. I usually use less than 1 gallon, but if we have 15 people in the house at Thanksgiving or other event, we may have to use twice as much if we include the cooking utensils and pans etc., too. A big meal with lots of different cooked items may use 5 gallons including very hot rinses. I'd love to not have to do dishes, but balk at spending the money on a dish washer and having to figure out where to put it.

WisJim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WisJim For This Useful Post:
Piwoslaw (03-12-13)